Maple wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Got some of this. Big and heavy.
I'm relatively sure it's maple, but what type?
Silver maple I'm afraid. (It's okay, but I would have preferred something better ;-)

What do you think?

For size reference, these are 20" dia or so.

Maple wood ID? Maple wood ID?

That does look like silver maple. Small chance of red but I’d need to see leaves in the spring that is the tell tale

That does look like silver maple. Small chance of red but I’d need to see leaves in the spring that is the tell tale
Yes, no leaves to be had here, unfortunately.

Silver

Reactions: stoveliker
ok. Too bad. But still free, and good for my "emergency" stock of wood that dries quick.

Thanks all.

Yeah maple for sure. Silver highly likely. Possibly swamp i guess it could be too. We have so many Silver and Swamp here in NJ and i'm sure it's the same deal on LI too.

I'd say silver maple. Possibly red (they're closely related, though red is much better firewood).