Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to answer your questions, the banana is gone and there are 2 bunches of new ones in its place. I did try the scraper, and it was too high with the bend to get it down into the auger end of the pot, so I bent it back to original and just left a little bit of a hook on the actual scraper tip. Did i do something wrong Scott or is my burn pot maybe different than others?
Im sure you didnt do anything wrong, and yes, there are several burnpot designs, some steeper than others.....

I did try the scraper, and it was too high with the bend to get it down into the auger end of the pot, so I bent it back to original and just left a little bit of a hook on the actual scraper tip.
Thats too bad, cause it sure was pretty.

Reactions: The Ds
Well to answer your questions, the banana is gone and there are 2 bunches of new ones in its place. I did try the scraper, and it was too high with the bend to get it down into the auger end of the pot, so I bent it back to original and just left a little bit of a hook on the actual scraper tip. Did i do something wrong Scott or is my burn pot maybe different than others?
You have to remove the flame guide.....

You have to remove the flame guide.....
OK, so you are scraping it after shutting it down, not while it is running? I figured I would be doing scrapings daily while it is running.

OK, so you are scraping it after shutting it down, not while it is running? I figured I would be doing scrapings daily while it is running.

earlier in this post, tsmith, I took the position that the manual meant to have the pot scraped while burning, and Scott read it as scraping while it wasnt burning. I dont think we ever came to a concensus........I dont shut the stove down to scrape the pot, Scott does.....just two varying opinions is all.

earlier in this post, tsmith, I took the position that the manual meant to have the pot scraped while burning, and Scott read it as scraping while it wasnt burning. I dont think we ever came to a concensus........I dont shut the stove down to scrape the pot, Scott does.....just two varying opinions is all.
Yea, i remember reading that, but I guess I thought I could use the tool while burning too but can't. Not a big deal at all, I could actually bend it again but not quite as hard and it would probably work while burning.

From my P61A Manual:

Carbon buildup can be scraped loose with the fire
burning using the special tool provided with your stove.
Scrape the floor and sides of the burn pot. The carbon
will be pushed out by the incoming fuel. Always wear
gloves to do this.

From my P61A Manual:

Carbon buildup can be scraped loose with the fire
burning using the special tool provided with your stove.
Scrape the floor and sides of the burn pot. The carbon
will be pushed out by the incoming fuel. Always wear
gloves to do this.
I pulled the instructions above out of a F/S Accentra manual, the most current one, available on Harman's website....didnt check all the manuals tho.......looks like we agree anyhow.....nothing wrong with scraping the burnpot while its burning....but from the online manual for the P61A:

(broken link removed to http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P61A.pdf)
see page 22, top paragraph.

Here it tells you its ok to scrape it while it burns, just like you say, Daksy. Even with this irrefutable proof tho, if someone wants to shut down to scrape, thats fine too....I am just glad to see people do it! wish more would....would make our jobs easier, thats for sure!

I have been using a Craftsman gasket scraper with great results. The thin sharp blade combined with the slight offset works perfectly in my Accentra FS. Hat tip to the folks on here who suggested it.

Ummm...isn't that why fire resistant gloves are recommended?

nah.....I used to do it with the scraper without gloves till I found the ole tool noted above in my toolbox...used it once, now have no idea where the stock scraper is!

what I dont like about the Harman scraper is the blunt, square edge....not much of a scraper...I use a mechanics prybar.....think of it as a big screwdriver with more of a chisel point, and an angled end. Its also longer than the scraper, allowing a much more friendly experience in scraping with a live fire and hot stove. Hands arent so close!

Bought a longer scraper for mine too. My knuckles were taking a beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.