Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

smwilliamson

The Stove Guy
Hearth Supporter
The Harman BP scraper was created years ago when the burn pot had a very slight curve and lots of room to get in there in work. Newer models such as the Accentra and the XXV have very deep curve pots and getting the tool in there often isn't much of a problem, but keeping skin on the back of your hand is if you want to really get in there and scrape. Here is a trick I have found to bend the tool and instead of poking and scarping, once modified, you can put the scraper to the bottom of the pot then press down and pull in short fast strokes. Whala! EVERYTHING comes out .

Instead of poking forward, you're raking backwards. The curve allows you to get in and have a spring-like lever to torque all the bad stuff out with ease and speed.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper
    burn pot scraping tool.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 927
Reactions: bish777
We call the Harman burnpot scraper a devil's tail, because of the resemblance.
[Hearth.com] Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper

what I dont like about the Harman scraper is the blunt, square edge....not much of a scraper...I use a mechanics prybar.....think of it as a big screwdriver with more of a chisel point, and an angled end. Its also longer than the scraper, allowing a much more friendly experience in scraping with a live fire and hot stove. Hands arent so close!

Thanks Scott, that looks like a mod I will have to make to my Accentra scraper.

what I dont like about the Harman scraper is the blunt, square edge....not much of a scraper...I use a mechanics prybar.....think of it as a big screwdriver with more of a chisel point, and an angled end. Its also longer than the scraper, allowing a much more friendly experience in scraping with a live fire and hot stove. Hands arent so close!
I use the same tool:cool:

[Hearth.com] Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper[Hearth.com] Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper

Reactions: smoke show
The Harman BP scraper was created years ago when the burn pot had a very slight curve and lots of room to get in there in work. Newer models such as the Accentra and the XXV have very deep curve pots and getting the tool in there often isn't much of a problem, but keeping skin on the back of your hand is if you want to really get in there and scrape. Here is a trick I have found to bend the tool and instead of poking and scarping, once modified, you can put the scraper to the bottom of the pot then press down and pull in short fast strokes. Whala! EVERYTHING comes out .

Instead of poking forward, you're raking backwards. The curve allows you to get in and have a spring-like lever to torque all the bad stuff out with ease and speed.

Sounds good in theory , but do you need to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes against the carbon chips flying out in your face when you pull it?

Sounds good in theory , but do you need to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes against the carbon chips flying out in your face when you pull it?
Only if you're as awesome as Ali G...."BOOSTCHIKA! alls me main mans.."
[Hearth.com] Making a better Harman Burn Pot Scraper

Very nice...betcha you want to try it out too! Did you give it a dry run? Place one hand over the curve and push down as you pull...feels great! You'll be impressed fer sure!

youll sure get some leverage with the curve, but it makes the scraper pretty useless for that quick scraping recommended by Harman (I think your manual says to do it every time you put a bag in, so, obviously you wont be doing this on a cool, not-running stove....hands too close to the heat......howza bout this:

http://www.blackrocktools.com/index.php/tekton-18-mechanic-s-pry-bar-3359.html

Reactions: DAKSY
I've had some model Harman or another for the past 10 years and have NEVER scraped the burn pot while it was running. Nor have I had to. That's crazy talk.

and conversely, I OFTEN do, with mine running, even! I dont get deposits in the burnpot when I do....makes the thorough cleaning once a month that much easier..... Ever do a cleaning on one with really bad deposits (who hasnt?).....they dont scrape the burnpot. As an aside, its in the manual as well, and I try to get customers to read and follow the manual, so, yea, I DO scrape the burnpot while its running.....my P61 is 12 years old (going on 13)!

(broken link removed to http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/Accentra.pdf)
(see page 25, first paragraph)

Reactions: Knuckles2002
Whenever loading fuel into the hopper, take the
opportunity to scrape the top holed surface and sides
of the burn pot down to auger tube.(Fig 39) It is not
necessary to completely remove all material from the
burn pot. The excess will be pushed out during the
next use.
This is assuming that the stove is not running..."the excess will be pushed out during the next use??? You are already using it right?" There are a lot of homeowners that are NOT going to do anything while the fire is running and I personally think it's kind dumb to even contemplate the idea.

This is assuming that the stove is not running..."the excess will be pushed out during the next use??? You are already using it right?" There are a lot of homeowners that are NOT going to do anything while the fire is running and I personally think it's kind dumb to even contemplate the idea.
semantics, maybe Scott, but I just dont see folks completely shutting their stoves down to load fuel into the hopper (and scrape the burnpot)...its not practical....2 bags per day means you shut the stove down twice? Keep in mind we are talking Harman here.......so, I guess I read and interpret it as otherwise.....scrape it down once a day, while it runs (it takes what, 15 seconds?), the carbon/slag is cleared from the burnpot when new pellets are fed in.....works for me, just like your method works for you........frankly, there are many homeowners who never scrape it down at all!

Reactions: gbreda and Defiant
I scrape the burn pots in both of my Harman's every 2-3 bags, while they're burning.
Always have. As Harman salemen, we were instructed to show potential customers
that this is both a safe & effective way to perform routine maintenance. If they're worried
about getting burned, they should wear work gloves for the 10-15 seconds this action
requires. I won't bend my scraper, because I use the flat end a LOT & the bend will
pretty much render that end worthless, IMHO...

Reactions: Lousyweather
youll sure get some leverage with the curve, but it makes the scraper pretty useless for that quick scraping recommended by Harman (I think your manual says to do it every time you put a bag in, so, obviously you wont be doing this on a cool, not-running stove....hands too close to the heat......howza bout this:

http://www.blackrocktools.com/index.php/tekton-18-mechanic-s-pry-bar-3359.html

We actually sell a similar item in our stores, as the owner doesn't care for the Harman Scraper.
He gets them at Harbor Freight for about $4.50...I admit that the handle is nicer to grip by, but it doesn't
work as well as the Harman on the accordion Heat Exchanger.
Personally, I don't have a problem with Harman's tool, but to each his own...

Not a fan of the Harman scraper much, but I can see how bending that will help in an XXV. A friend of mine already did that to a lesser extent for their XXV.
Personally, I use an old screwdriver to scrape under the fire while its burning and then the Harmon flat end to clean out the excess. Quality pellets helps to not have to clean the heat exchanger much at all between shut down cleanings. The mechanic pry bar is the exact thing I have been looking for, so its high on my list of purchases.

I dont see any issues with scraping while burning, if you dont pay attention, you find out very quickly that hot metal and flame hurts and hopefully will pay attention next time. Being careful and paying attention kind of goes along with bringing fire into your home.

Not a fan of the Harman scraper much, but I can see how bending that will help in an XXV. A friend of mine already did that to a lesser extent for their XXV.
Personally, I use an old screwdriver to scrape under the fire while its burning and then the Harmon flat end to clean out the excess. Quality pellets helps to not have to clean the heat exchanger much at all between shut down cleanings. The mechanic pry bar is the exact thing I have been looking for, so its high on my list of purchases.

I dont see any issues with scraping while burning, if you dont pay attention, you find out very quickly that hot metal and flame hurts and hopefully will pay attention next time. Being careful and paying attention kind of goes along with bringing fire into your home.
I use an old large screwdriver with a bend in it and I do scrape the pot daily while the stove is burning.

Well to answer your questions, the banana is gone and there are 2 bunches of new ones in its place. I did try the scraper, and it was too high with the bend to get it down into the auger end of the pot, so I bent it back to original and just left a little bit of a hook on the actual scraper tip. Did i do something wrong Scott or is my burn pot maybe different than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.