Magnolia Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Feeling lucky a luck punk today and thought about trying out the Mag for a few days. I was looking over the stove and realized I don't have any spring handles for door or air control and they weren't in any boxes. Should they be as pictures show them? Next I was examining the air control and it has me a little concerned. One thing I like about the Nashua is if I need to I can completely shut off the air. The Mag has a real flimsy piece of sheet metal that just kinda covers the hole kinda. No way it going to give any real control over the air nor safety to shut it down in case of a runaway. Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes, it should have the spring coil handle covers. Modern EPA stoves can not be shut down 100%. This is to prevent smoldering burns and to be sure of complete wood combustion.

The hardest part of going from the old stoves to the new is keeping from thinking that all of those flames are wasting your wood and that your stove is running away. A lot of those flames are stuff that was just going up the chimney with the old stove and settling into the grass in your yard. Or on your neighbor's car.

wkpoor, I thought you gave up on trying that pint size stove.

I did some measuring and it can set right in where the Nash was with no mods to the stove pipe except for removing the adapter. So I'm willing to give it a try for shits and grins. I hate that I'll be sorting firewood to find pieces that will fit in but that isn't the end of the world. Also we are in for ideal weather for the next 10days or so. Not to warm not to cold so I can give it an honest try. All this is just killing time till I can order the Elm. It can be had up to 38" so firewood length will not be a problem. If I'm totally surprised (and a nice surprise it would be) I'll still have a use for the Mag in the summer kitchen. At the point the Nashua days will be numbered.

This is the Magnolia with the 3.2 cu ft firebox or is it a smaller unit?

BrowningBAR said:
I believe that is correct.

wkpoor said:
BrowningBAR said:
I believe that is correct.
That's as big as my summit, for some reason I thought it was smaller than that.

Something curious: Even though EPA rated stoves have been out since "88" I guessing the pre EPA stoves are still used in greater numbers than the post. I know several people that heat like I do and I only know 2 that have post stoves. Both have never replaced the cat even though it was needed over 10yrs ago. One thing I observe is most people burn wood to save money. Old stoves are cheap. New ones cost anywhere from 2-4,000 making wood heat more expensive than conventional. Other curious thing I have noted is of those that have sprung for a new fancy stove almost never use them. They just like the way they look in the room. So here is my take. If you have alot of money and can afford a 4,000 dollar stove you probably don't really need to save money by heating with wood. If your strapped for cash you heat to save money but can't afford anything but an old smoke monster. How is that for an oxymoron?

The englander stoves are a good buy and it seems like they do the job well. Dont tell any body but I some times think I should have bought one.

oldspark said:
The englander stoves are a good buy and it seems like they do the job well. Dont tell any body but I some times think I should have bought one.

I think you should have too. :lol:

Seriously, you have a great wood stove there oldspark. If they had a short leg for it one would probably be in my fireplace. But fortunately they didn't and I came across an ad for the 30-NC. Bought it because if was large, would fit in my fireplace and was from a company I have known about for thirty years. Didn't know the price until after I had given the guy my credit card number and shipping address.

There are a lot of things to love about that Summit that the 30 doesn't have. But they are both heating beasts. And my 30 is "beautiful" according the the lady of the house.

Right wood and run it right and that Magnolia is gonna kick that Nashua's ass. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Right wood and run it right and that Magnolia is gonna kick that Nashua's ass. :coolsmirk:
I'll take that bet, but only if I can use mine.

BrotherBart said:
oldspark said:

I think you should have too. :lol:

Seriously, you have a great wood stove there oldspark. If they had a short leg for it one would probably be in my fireplace. But fortunately they didn't and I came across an ad for the 30-NC. Bought it because if was large, would fit in my fireplace and was from a company I have known about for thirty years. Didn't know the price until after I had given the guy my credit card number and shipping address.

There are a lot of things to love about that Summit that the 30 doesn't have. But they are both heating beasts. And my 30 is "beautiful" according the the lady of the house.
The reason I said that was because there are a couple of post by people who had both stoves in the same house and it seemed like the 30 kicked out for heat.

It does kick out the heat, or more correctly radiates it, unless it has the side shields installed. Then it starts behaving like a convective stove. The solution is easy sparky. Take off the sides of the Summit, but watch the clearances.

BeGreen said:
It does kick out the heat, or more correctly radiates it, unless it has the side shields installed. Then it starts behaving like a convective stove. The solution is easy sparky. Take off the sides of the Summit, but watch the clearances.
I guess I should have bought the summit with out the sides, the only time I wish it put out more heat is when it is below 0 and windy, other wise its great, just lacks the big blast of heat. I hate to take off the sides now that I have them.

Most of the time I am talking out of school. It has only gotten down to zero a couple of times since I have had this stove. But when it did I was still able to get up the next morning after a nine or ten o'clock load to high sixties in the house. But I can't speak to heating a house when the temps stay below zero for days on end.

And will never be able to as long as there are moving companies listed in the phone book.

When it's below zero and very windy, I suspect many forum members wish they had (chose from below):

A. A bigger stove
B. Better insulation
C. Less glass area and tighter windows
D. A smaller, easier to heat house
E. A condo in Acapulco

wkpoor said:
Something curious: Even though EPA rated stoves have been out since "88" I guessing 1. the pre EPA stoves are still used in greater numbers than the post. I know several people that heat like I do and I only know 2 that have post stoves.2. Both have never replaced the cat even though it was needed over 10yrs ago. One thing I observe is most people burn wood to save money. 3. Old stoves are cheap. New ones cost anywhere from 2-4,000 making wood heat more expensive than conventional. 4. Other curious thing I have noted is of those that have sprung for a new fancy stove almost never use them. They just like the way they look in the room. So here is my take. 5. If you have alot of money and can afford a 4,000 dollar stove you probably don't really need to save money by heating with wood. 6. If your strapped for cash you heat to save money but can't afford anything but an old smoke monster. How is that for an oxymoron?

1. Incorrect. Look at sales figures of current manufacturers.

2. Dumb people operate old stoves and new stoves. Stupidity is not limited to a certain group.

3. New stoves are cheap if you look in the right spots. My "new" Heritage cost me $1,000. An Englander can be had for under a grand. There are several new stoves that have good heating capacity that are under a grand.

4. You mean apart from the hundreds of folks that post here?

5. I could spend 4 grand a year on stoves and still break even on heating costs when compared to oil costs. That doesn't mean I do, but I could, and I would still be a head of the game... warmer too.

6. Not sure how that is an oxymoron.

Oh, and I am an owner of a Pre-EPA stove.

BeGreen said:
When it's below zero and very windy, I suspect many forum members wish they had (chose from below):

A. A bigger stove
B. Better insulation
C. Less glass area and tighter windows
D. A smaller, easier to heat house
E. A condo in Acapulco

Put me down for B, C, and D.

Sounds reasonable. I should have added: F. Another stove. :)

Good to hear the Heritage is solving this problem.

At this point in time I am not sure what I want, would the englander (without sides)heat that much better than my summit (with sides), I have a hard time believing that but the one guy who had a leaky house said the englander was too hot and the summit was not hot enough, it just does not make sense to me. :blank:

wkpoor, When do you plan to have the new Magnolia in place and working? I am anxious to see your results.

BrowningBAR said:
wkpoor said:
Something curious: Even though EPA rated stoves have been out since "88" I guessing 1. the pre EPA stoves are still used in greater numbers than the post. I know several people that heat like I do and I only know 2 that have post stoves.2. Both have never replaced the cat even though it was needed over 10yrs ago. One thing I observe is most people burn wood to save money. 3. Old stoves are cheap. New ones cost anywhere from 2-4,000 making wood heat more expensive than conventional. 4. Other curious thing I have noted is of those that have sprung for a new fancy stove almost never use them. They just like the way they look in the room. So here is my take. 5. If you have alot of money and can afford a 4,000 dollar stove you probably don't really need to save money by heating with wood. 6. If your strapped for cash you heat to save money but can't afford anything but an old smoke monster. How is that for an oxymoron?

1. Incorrect. Look at sales figures of current manufacturers.

2. Dumb people operate old stoves and new stoves. Stupidity is not limited to a certain group.

3. New stoves are cheap if you look in the right spots. My "new" Heritage cost me $1,000. An Englander can be had for under a grand. There are several new stoves that have good heating capacity that are under a grand.

4. You mean apart from the hundreds of folks that post here?

5. I could spend 4 grand a year on stoves and still break even on heating costs when compared to oil costs. That doesn't mean I do, but I could, and I would still be a head of the game... warmer too.

6. Not sure how that is an oxymoron.

Oh, and I am an owner of a Pre-EPA stove.
1. I'm basing that on people that I know who heat with wood. Easy to find people with pre EPA stoves. Very difficult to located someone with a new stove. Why? Simple, they cost too much.
2.I agree
3. Even a thousand is more than most people will spend. Most people I know burn with 200.00 used stoves.
4. I'm referring to folks I know and my own personal observations. If there is a nice fancy soapstone in the living room chances are its there for appearance. I can't name one person who lights it more than a couple evening a year.
5. 4k a year in heating cost either means you have a huge house or you need new windows,doors, and insulation. I have a very average house except for I have probably twice the number of windows this sq ft would normally have and if I didn't heat with wood it would coat me less than a grand to heat for a year. Others like me with newer homes report the same.
6. Wood stoves, or just about any heating appliance that uses free fuel costs up to 4xs what a plain old furnace does. My current furnace with heat pump and air conditioning didn't cost what one new wood stove does. The main reason I never installed an OWB is because they run on average about 10K after install. That would never amortize out in my situation in 30yrs.
7. So why do I heat with wood. 2 reasons, firewood cutting is my hobby and I love warm wood heat.

boatboy63 said:
wkpoor, When do you plan to have the new Magnolia in place and working? I am anxious to see your results.
Wanted to move it in last weekend but other things got in the way. I'll try to have it up and going by Saturday morning. I'll give it a good solid week before I post my findings ........unless I get so cold I have to switch back LOL just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.