Lowe’s SSW02 2400 sq ft wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Another options would be to order the stove from AMFM Energy. They appear to be the retail factory store for Englander. You can order online, delivery is free. They sell new, reconditioned and factory second stoves.
https://amfm-energy.myshopify.com/
Thats a great price for the SS50 for this time of year.

Thanks for the update. That's good info..

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
there are alot of things that are very opinion oriented with a stove, i was using a boxwood which was a terrible piece of crap. the nc30 i never had any experience with but people say the furnace i have is a nc with a shroud for air. i bought it in the fall they were both the same price at the time so made the choice pretty easy. when its 40-50 ill start a fire let it warm up after work crank it on low and fill it with 5 or so pieces and its probably 70s by the time i go to bed and hot still the next afternoon. i have a drafty house built in 1850. when its colder i still use low because im trying to save oil but i leave that set on 60 about the time i go to work it will start running but im too lazy too be running that before i go, but im sure you could.

try to remember begreen not that good at thinking about pictures

Seasoned oak...thanks for the information it is much appreciated...what kind of burn times are you getting out of the ss50 if you are on medium heat? In the picture the blower blows heat from the sides on the 50 and the heat blows off the top of the NC30 correct?

The stove is at minimum, a great starter stove and will work much better than the coal stove. Bigger issue is why do you have 30 of uninsulated pipe for a chimney??
I have 20'. Burns great. Almost no build up. The rapid temperature changes cause any buildup to fall down the chimney into the stove and be burned.

Seasoned Oak, also which stove has a longer burn time when you use the same wood in both stoves?
Both stove seem almost the same as far as burn time but other factors are important to me. The fact that the 50s viewing glass stays so clean and looks so much better (IMO)in a family room setting . Sits much higher so the fire view is more eye level when your sitting. I burn mostly pine in both stoves and it does seem like you can shut down the 30 to a little slower burn but the tradeoff is a dirty glass .Both stoves cruise at about 650 stovetop on low air when fully heated up to temp. I rarely use the blowers when the stovetop is under 600 cuz i want a clean burn and a hot flue.

Last edited:
Seasoned oak...thanks for the information it is much appreciated...what kind of burn times are you getting out of the ss50 if you are on medium heat? In the picture the blower blows heat from the sides on the 50 and the heat blows off the top of the NC30 correct?
Since i burn mostly pine my burn times wont be the same as yours with hardwood,but on pine they seem to be about the same. As far as the blowers ,both are noisy on high speed but i normally only use low or medium speed and only when the stove top goes toward 700 or more. Below 600 i dont use the blower at all. BOTH stoves are a low cost super value IMO as its very hard to find this much quality at this price point. I plan on selling one of my 30s and i will probably ask $500 in high season ,half price in high season but only a few $ less than i paid in low season.

As far as the blowers ,both are noisy on high speed but i normally only use low or medium speed and only when the stove top goes toward 700 or more.
Does the blower blow across the top of the stove? If yes, is the stove top a convective lid with outlets slots above the door?

Does the blower blow across the top of the stove? If yes, is the stove top a convective lid with outlets slots above the door?
On the 50 they blow out the sides ,neither stove has air outlets above the door.

On the 50 they blow out the sides ,neither stove has air outlets above the door.
That's surprising. It would seem the blower would be less effective at extracting maximum heat and at cooling the stove (when needed) that way.

I have the SSW02 and the 01, (little brother "Madison"). If I have to do it all over again i will go for the madison and if need bigger stove i will try the NC30. Never burn a NC30. I have to mess here and there with the door gasket on the 02 cause it gets flat in some areas and cause air leak. Another thing i didn't like is how the dog house sits almost in the middle of the fire box. Both are power plant talking about heat. the 02 is good cause you can load more splits per loads but the Madison heats well too and for me is better designed. Also has a features that many high end stove dont have and it is the ability of adjust the door at the hinges plus it has flat top. Just my experience.

If we talking about the same stove with the fan provided by englander, They just blow on the back trying to move air but it is not in any way a real convective stove or system. DONT BLOW ON SIDES OR TOP. It just sits in the back of the stove. I don't know how effective it can be about heat distribution. Never notice that much different when in use.

I dont think either fan is a s effective as say a ceiling fan would be distributing the heat,as i said i only use it if the stove top starts to get too hot ,but most of the time it cruises at a comfortable 650.

Looks like Deere 80 i leaning toward the BK princess for the long burn times. It will be better for shoulder season but will it do any better during the coldest part of the winter or give about the same burn time as the englanders when set to a higher heat setting.

Looks like Deere 80 i leaning toward the BK princess for the long burn times. It will be better for shoulder season but will it do any better during the coldest part of the winter or give about the same burn time as the englanders when set to a higher heat setting.
Everything depend on the heat demand you need. At wide open throttle i will say is the same but with the advantage or not overfire the appliance if door seals good, no air leaks, etc. the differences are the dial. can be adjust to your needs. You can ask at any time for the output that you want and it is constant. another point is that if you have the fans, it will give you a big performance distributing the heat cause it is a convective stove and it is designed for it. possibly you don't need to ask for too much of demand when cold cause of a better distribution depending how cold gets in you area. I know We are talking about big different on price. They all are good stove. I don't buy that that they are cheap stoves and don't performed well. They all are EPA certified and pass epa test. Like mentioned before I love the Madison. And yes, sometimes i missed the firelight of the secondaries.lol

Thanks for all your comments and help, just to let you know I bought a BK Princess Ultra last night. Got it installed and fired it up right away, had the smoke alarms going after the paint started to cure on the stove but opened up the windows and cleared it out.

Thanks for all your comments and help, just to let you know I bought a BK Princess Ultra last night. Got it installed and fired it up right away, had the smoke alarms going after the paint started to cure on the stove but opened up the windows and cleared it out.
Congratulations.

Keep us posted how it works out for you . I have 2 of the 3 major types of wood stoves but never had a cat stove. Since i enjoy the fire show more than anything im not sure it would fill the bill for me. unless its on high fire.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Now all we need visual proof! :)

Here it is idling along

Lowe’s SSW02 2400 sq ft wood stove

Last edited by a moderator: