Lowe’s SSW02 2400 sq ft wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deere80

Jan 18, 2018
ND
I have been looking at buying one of these stoves but have getting mixed reviews. First question is what is the difference from the Summers Heat SSW02 from an Englander NC30? I have an old Gilbraltar MCC right now but it goes thru the wood like crazy, what I have read is that the MCC was made to burn coal hence the shaker grate in it and I want something that doesn’t soot the chimney up so fast so I thought maybe one of the these newer stoves wood be better and more efficient. I have 30ft of insulated pipe right now so it isn’t fun cleaning. So what are your experiences with the SSW02 because I like the price and want a blower which it has?

Englander and Summer's Heat are the same company so without taking a detailed look I would hazard a guess and say if you're looking at the same specs and a very similar looking stove about the only thing different will be the name plate and which store it's sold at . . .

I see the NC-30 now is also sold with a blower.

As for experience . . . I have none with this stove . . . but around here the Englander, Summer's Heat and it's third sister stove line (I forget the name) have a good reputation as a solid stove at an affordable price and very good customer service.

The stove is at minimum, a great starter stove and will work much better than the coal stove. Bigger issue is why do you have 30 of uninsulated pipe for a chimney??

The 50 SSW02 is a much newer stove. Both it and the 30NC are 6" flue non-cats. The 30NC has a long track record as a good heater. The SSW02 got off to a rough start with ill fitting doors that didn't seal right. Englander sent out new doors to these people. I'm not sure how many remain in stock in stores with this problem. Both are big stoves but I think the 30NC might have a bit more real capacity. The 30NC has stiffer hearth requirement, whereas the SSW02 needs an ember protection only hearth. The window on the SSW02 is bigger, like a picture window, but the 30NC is not tiny.

I don’t know what I should do now after looking at different stoves yesterday. Should I go with a better quality stove like the P.E. summit or go with a Blaze King cat stove? Just don’t anything about cat stoves but look awesome but the price tag on them is a little hard to swallow.

Why would the 30NC not work? Another affordable alternative would be the Drolet HT2000.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t but I don’t have any where to look at one before I would have to buy it. They are special order where I live so I have to pay in full before I could see it which really sucks. Does the door on the 30NC just have the flat seal?

On the Lowes site the SSW02 has a lot better customer reviews rating than the 30NC and the 30NC is $300 more, so what makes it worth more? I wish someone would of had experience with both of these models because I don't know which one to go with if I go that route. I have to pay in full to even look at it because they do not carry them in the store.

I've got a 30NC that I got a few years back. It's my primary heat for my 2,300 square foot house in the winter, and it does a good job keeping up as long as it's not zero degrees for weeks on end. Flat face seal on the cast iron front door, nice big glass though not as big as Summer's Heat version it doesn't look like. Air control lever is under the door on my stove instead of above it, but it looks like the same design. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, mine is built really well and simple to use. Takes a bit to learn to produce sustained secondary burns but it's not too tough. There are a few different stoves right around the 1K range that can get it done for you. I don't ever think about getting a different stove, if that helps you decide.

A cat stove is generally better for shoulder season work when it's warmer outside. Either kind is good for cold winter weather. The right choice depends on how you want to use the stove and what your budget is.

Lots of people on the forum like their 30NCs, though!

On the Lowes site the SSW02 has a lot better customer reviews rating than the 30NC and the 30NC is $300 more, so what makes it worth more? I wish someone would of had experience with both of these models because I don't know which one to go with if I go that route. I have to pay in full to even look at it because they do not carry them in the store.

We do have a member here who has both models. He is happier with the Summers Heat after using both for some time. Larger window is one thing he liked better. Cant remember his user name but you could start a new thread asking for his opinion/advice on those two stoves.

The Drolet HT2000 has been a super stove for a friend of mine. I'd buy one in a heart beat if I needed a reasonably priced stove.

If you decide to broaden your stove search I am a BK cat stove owner. It has exceeded my expectations.

Also look at the Woodstock Ideal Steel or Absolute Steel cat stoves. They are getting great reviews on another forum.

That's odd, the 30NC is usually the less expensive stove. Like I said, the 30NC has a long track record. The stove has been out and in service for over a decade. The 50 SSW02 is new and the initial run had issues so we have no long term record of how the stove is going to stand up. It'll probably be fine, but we just don't know yet. The Drolet HT2000 is also a proven stove with a good track record.

Reactions: weatherguy
I just got off the phone with Lowes to ask them if they would price match Home Depot(Lowes is asking $1355 and Home Depot $899 on the NC30 stoves not the WWS02) because Lowes is 20 miles away and Home Depot 120 miles away. Both stores would have to order them because they do not stock them in the store. She told me that they are not the same stove, I tried to explain that there model is SNC30 and Home Depot is 30-NCH which is both made by the same company but she told me I was wrong so looks like I will be driving farther to get one. I will drive over there to see if I get someone else that is more familiar with stoves than her. I think I might just go with the NC30 stove over the WWS02 because there is just not enough info out about the WWS02 compared to the NC30. If money was not a decider I would like to try out a new BK but just do not want to pay that much.

Another options would be to order the stove from AMFM Energy. They appear to be the retail factory store for Englander. You can order online, delivery is free. They sell new, reconditioned and factory second stoves.
https://amfm-energy.myshopify.com/

I have the lowes one (SSW02), I wanted it because of the bigger glass and the extra height, its got tighter clearances and it looks a little better to me. its got a rope seal and it was leaking at first but all I did was fluff it up a couple times, seals fine. I have been using it a ton this year because Its been warm(I use it when its about 0 or more). and I haven't had to use the basement one, it handles daily use very good. I liked it so much I bought the furnace one for downstairs when my old one cracked

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
jwfirebird, what is your average burn time with a full load of wood on medium heat? How good is the blower you get with the stove? I see you can buy an upgraded blower AC30 which has a lot more CFM.

I have the lowes one (SSW02), I wanted it because of the bigger glass and the extra height, its got tighter clearances and it looks a little better to me. its got a rope seal and it was leaking at first but all I did was fluff it up a couple times, seals fine. I have been using it a ton this year because Its been warm(I use it when its about 0 or more). and I haven't had to use the basement one, it handles daily use very good. I liked it so much I bought the furnace one for downstairs when my old one cracked
@jwfirebird could you take a moment and start a new thread with a review of your experiences with the stove? That'd be very helpful for others considering buying one. Pictures would be great too. Thx.

Calling @Seasoned Oak to the front desk. 30NC / 50SSW02 comparison requested.
Yes i have both stoves , have had 2 . NC-30 for years. One of the big reason i wound up with 2 is i got each one for around $600 brand new delivered. Not a bad price for a reliable brand stove if you need multiple stoves. Im using it in a house im rehabbing.
Recently got the 50SSW02 almost solely for the great big beautiful fire view.
Both stoves are about the same price. It may be just me but i think the 50SS looks so much better then the NC30 . The 30 squats so low you can hardly see the fire when up close. Here is a video if it in action. With a few pieces of old wallstuds burning.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
As far as performance the 50 is a BIG stove. It throws some serious heat. If i had to buy either one again id get another SS50 . Iv had no issues with the door gasket. It seem to me to be the new and improved version. The 30 is a capable stove too but i never did like the low profile. The 30 has been moved to the basement for when i need to run 2 stoves. I paid just over $700 for the SS50 last spring off season price.
They usually go for $900 to $1100 For some reason the glass stays so much cleaner on the SS50. Thats a big plus for me. The wood also seems to burn down to a fine ash ,goes forever between cleaning out ashes. On the 30 the door glass gets dirty much faster on a regular basis.

Attachments

• Lowe’s SSW02 2400 sq ft wood stove
    794909501514.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited: