LOVE my 5100i Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtp10181 said:
You do have the baffle board and insulation blanket in there right? I have had people who self install remove that because they thought it was shipping materials.

Interesting that you mention that!!!! The blanket is the 1st thing that the manufacturer had me remove when I 1st called with problems. However, I do have a brand new one laying around that I could put in. And, apparently I should find out about this baffle board.

As for the block off plate... it looks like I have a projoct to work on now.

The manufacturer had you remove the ceramic baffle blanket insulation? They instructed you to remove a part of the emissions control system? Am I reading that right? Please tell me I'm not before my head explodes.

There is NO WAY anyone at Quadrafire would suggest removing the blanket and burning it like that.

xnetdoodx, the baffle is a ceramic board that sits on top of the burn tubes, and the blanket sits on top of that. Without those the efficiency of the stove is GREATLY reduced because all the heat just flies up the chimney. You also run a great risk of over-firing when burning like that.

Corie said:
The manufacturer had you remove the ceramic baffle blanket insulation? They instructed you to remove a part of the emissions control system? Am I reading that right? Please tell me I'm not before my head explodes.

I kid you not fellas! I was told to remove the insulation blanket on top of the fire bricks above the baffles. That was the 1st thing I was told to do BY QUADRAFIRE when I called about my problem 4 seasons ago. It has been out ever since.

Stupid question, but I am going to ask..................
When you ran the 6" liner up through the old chimney, did you install a top plate on the chimney around the new liner? And seal it to the old clay liner top?
High temp silicone seal around the top plate & new liner coming through it? Its pretty obvious you did not install a lower block off plate. That alone is gonna let heat up the old chimney. And if no plate is on top. now your not only drafting you exhaust gases through the new liner, but also drafting the heat from the room & home up & out the old chimney. I am assuming you do have a top plate on, but had to ask just to rule that out.

xnetdoodx said:
Corie said:

I kid you not fellas! I was told to remove the insulation blanket on top of the fire bricks above the baffles. That was the 1st thing I was told to do BY QUADRAFIRE when I called about my problem 4 seasons ago. It has been out ever since.

Oy! That will affect secondary action quite a bit.

Can I suggest you start a new thread on your problems? I don't think this is the stove and it would be great to get you warm. It sounds like you have received a boat load of bad advice. It makes the installation suspect as well.

Take some pictures of the interior of the stove (not burning) so that the Quad dealers can look up in there. You'll need the blanket there. But it would also be good to know the just how the liner is installed. Have you ever been up on the roof looking at the top cap installation? Do you know if the pipe is freely loose in the flue pipe or if there is a metal cap on top of the flue. The stove pipe liner would be passing through this cap. Pictures here would help too.

BeGreen said:
xnetdoodx said:
Corie said:

Oy! That will affect secondary action quite a bit.

Can I suggest you start a new thread on your problems? I don't think this is the stove and it would be great to get you warm. It sounds like you have received a boat load of bad advice. It makes the installation suspect as well.

Take some pictures of the interior of the stove (not burning) so that the Quad dealers can look up in there. You'll need the blanket there. But it would also be good to know the just how the liner is installed. Have you ever been up on the roof looking at the top cap installation? Do you know if the pipe is freely loose in the flue pipe or if there is a metal cap on top of the flue. The stove pipe liner would be passing through this cap. Pictures here would help too.

Good suggestion! I will start a new thread when I get some time here to document my current setup. I have learned a GREAT deal here from everyone in just a couple of days. I do have a top plate on the chimney and the pipe is freely loose. Now that I have been educated, I can completely understand the block off plate theory. I have some good metal fab. friends that would be glad to help me get on the right track. Thanks for all the knowlegable advise!!!!! I can't help but question why my few calls to quadrafire wouldn't have mentioned ANY of these obvious necessities :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.