Lopi Liberty smells when cold.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan105

Dec 20, 2015
Salem, NH
Ok, so I refurbished an old Lopi Liberty stove. Think its a 1997. I followed the manual and installed it myself. I dod a good job on the stove and the install.
When I am not using the stove, IT SMELLS BAD like ash. I even cleaned it out and vacuumed it out and it still smells. All gaskets are new and air control is closed.

I did notice that the air control has a screw missing and the sheet metal is torn at the front. Basically it just hold the aor control from beimg able to slude all the way out of the stove. When I put my fave near the atove I can smell the atrong smell
to the left and right of tge aur conteol handle. I can also smell it up towards the top air vents on the top section of the stove. What is going on here, I cant live like this. This whole project that seemed to have turned out so great is now makimg me regret puttimg the stove in. Is it time to call a professional, should I toss the stove and get a new box store stove (i cant afford a new high emd stove).

If it smells bad cold and not hot, you may have reverse draft when the flue is cold. Put a key damper inline and close it when the stove's not in use.

Describe your venting system and you'll get more information.

I bet when you start a fire with a cold stove you get a lot of smoke in the room?

Last edited:
Ok, so I refurbished an old Lopi Liberty stove. Think its a 1997. I followed the manual and installed it myself. I dod a good job on the stove and the install.
When I am not using the stove, IT SMELLS BAD like ash. I even cleaned it out and vacuumed it out and it still smells. All gaskets are new and air control is closed.

I did notice that the air control has a screw missing and the sheet metal is torn at the front. Basically it just hold the aor control from beimg able to slude all the way out of the stove. When I put my fave near the atove I can smell the atrong smell
to the left and right of tge aur conteol handle. I can also smell it up towards the top air vents on the top section of the stove. What is going on here, I cant live like this. This whole project that seemed to have turned out so great is now makimg me regret puttimg the stove in. Is it time to call a professional, should I toss the stove and get a new box store stove (i cant afford a new high emd stove).
The sfmell probably has nothing to do with the stove itself andvwould most likely de there with any stove you install. The problem is when its cold air is being pulled down the chimney. We need to know more about your setup to help.

Attachments

• Lopi Liberty smells when cold.
    20180211_212953.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Lopi Liberty smells when cold.
    20180206_081241.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: kennyp2339
Well, you’ve got a lot working against you there... a set of elbows inside, then a Tee, then an ice cold chimney. Not to mention the troubles involved with a stove installed on the lower level of a home. It’s not the stove, it’s a house problem. Once the draft reduces, your house acts as the chimney. This could be caused by a number of issues.

Following that thought. Are there any leakage points, leaky windows, attic vent, attic stairs, etc. on the upper floor? Any large exhaust sources like a big kitchen range hood fan?