Lopi Liberty Nextgen vs Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pedersjo

Nov 4, 2020
Cougar WA
Good Morning,

I am in the final decision-making process for a wood stove and it has come down to either the BK Princess or the 2020 Lopi Liberty Nexgen. One is a cat, the other non-cat. Our home is 1300 square feet with a high cathedral ceiling, and we may be adding on a room down the road. This will be our main heating source. I am new to wood stoves, can you please chime in on what your preference would be for this situation?

Thank you,
John

Looks like you really have what many consider shoulder season type winter weather. Average lows in the 30's during the cold month's? If that is correct I'd sure consider the BK for it's nice 24/7 burning capability and smooth, steady heat output. The BK can go 24 hrs. The Liberty is rated at 12.
The Princess is easier to load N.S. which makes putting in a full load much handier in my opinion.
Both would likely do the job fine. Kind of tough to compare them as they are so different. There is a older Liberty in my circle I have been around for years. It works well but simply needs more tending.

I would not want a new model nexgen or whatever from any brand right now. Lots of new and unproven technology out since the 2020 emissions change. The BK is not a new design so you have the benefit of a reputation. To be fair there are some other brands that didn’t go wild with new tech. Take a look at PE for a noncat.

On average I don’t need a seatbelt in my truck but I wear one for those bad days. On average your climate may have lows above freezing but you want a stove that does the job when it’s 7 degrees and blowing unless this stove is just a decoration.

It was just 32 last night in this moderate climate but dark after 4:30. Both of my stoves are burning.

For a main heat source in our pnw climate, the princess is pretty ideal. It’s performance is superb including the ability to be run low or high to match your home’s needs without the peaks and valleys of noncat operation.

Last edited:
I would not want a new model nexgen or whatever from any brand right now. Lots of new and unproven technology out since the 2020 emissions change. The BK is not a new design so you have the benefit of a reputation. To be fair there are some other brands that didn’t go wild with new tech. Take a look at PE for a noncat.

On average I don’t need a seatbelt in my truck but I wear one for those bad days. On average your climate may have lows above freezing but you want a stove that does the job when it’s 7 degrees and blowing unless this stove is just a decoration.

It was just 32 last night in this moderate climate but dark after 4:30. Both of my stoves are burning.

For the main heat source in our pnw climate, the princess is pretty ideal. It’s performance is superb including the ability to be run low or high to match your home’s needs without the peaks and valleys of noncat operation.
That sounds logical. The main reason for considering the liberty was that it has a larger box (3.6 vs. 2.9) Although from what I have read the quoted specs are not always correct. Thank you for your input.

Looks like you really have what many consider shoulder season type winter weather. Average lows in the 30's during the cold month's? If that is correct I'd sure consider the BK for it's nice 24/7 burning capability and smooth, steady heat output. The BK can go 24 hrs. The Liberty is rated at 12.
The Princess is easier to load N.S. which makes putting in a full load much handier in my opinion.
Both would likely do the job fine. Kind of tough to compare them as they are so different. There is a older Liberty in my circle I have been around for years. It works well but simply needs more tending.
yes it is pretty mellow here, some cold drops but it tends to warm back up. Snows pretty good maybe 2-3 times per year.

That sounds logical. The main reason for considering the liberty was that it has a larger box (3.6 vs. 2.9) Although from what I have read the quoted specs are not always correct. Thank you for your input.

2.9 is plenty for your home. Plus, that 2.9 BK is more efficient and controllable than the 3.6 Lopi. It’s not like you’ll run either stove at max output so firebox size is only really getting you longer burntimes and the BK is king of long burntimes at whatever output level you want.

The Liberty is a hybrid. It will not perform the same as a thermostatically regulated cat stove. They are different animals. Going back to your first thread, I think that the Liberty might be too large for your application. A 3 cu ft BK stove does not operate like a 3cu ft hybrid and truth be told, we have no experience with the new stove. It's much easier to recommend a known than an unknown.

Last edited:
Reactions: sticks
For your climate: Blaze King. Less of a difference somewhere really cold. Blaze Kings live in the slow and low that is the tempo.