Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Bvango

Sep 15, 2024
Indiana
Hello all new poster and a bit confused on corner clearances. I see from Lopis install page that with reduced clearance in a corner you can be 7.5 inches from corner to wall.

Now if I’m understanding that correctly the corner of the stove with double pipe can be 7.5 inches from a combustible corner (so just drywall)?

I am debating cutting out the drywall and putting up cement board if I have to but if it is saying it can be installed safetly with drywall at 7.5” I won’t go through the trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[Hearth.com] Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question [Hearth.com] Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question

Hello all new poster and a bit confused on corner clearances. I see from Lopis install page that with reduced clearance in a corner you can be 7.5 inches from corner to wall.

Now if I’m understanding that correctly the corner of the stove with double pipe can be 7.5 inches from a combustible corner (so just drywall)?

I am debating cutting out the drywall and putting up cement board if I have to but if it is saying it can be installed safetly with drywall at 7.5” I won’t go through the trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 329737

Link Removed
Yes it looks like 7.5"with double wall. Removing the drywall an replacing with cement board would only gain you 1/2" to.the studs behind it anyway.

Reactions: begreen
Ok so then in that case there’s no reason to really replace the drywall at all.

Last thing for the hearth pad do I really not need any thickness or R value for the hearth pad according to this install guide for it?

[Hearth.com] Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question

Correct, The hearth pad requirement is ember protection only.

Reactions: Bvango
The reason is that the stove design doesn't radiate enough to the bottom for this to be an issue.

Keep us posted on the install and how she is heating this winter. We love pics of stoves with fire in their bellies.

Well I put together the frame and put the plywood on top. Going to add cement board and tile over that and I’ll almost be ready for the stone veneer behind

The weird extra boards are for where the plywood and cement board will need extra support since 2 pieces are needed. Doesn’t look pretty but will work hah

[Hearth.com] Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question [Hearth.com] Lopi Liberty NexGen Reduced Clearance Question

Last edited:
The images are really large, too big to display. I downsized them from 5712 x 4284 px to 1200 x 900 px and replaced the originals.

Looks like you had a helper there on the construction site.

The images are really large, too big to display. I downsized them from 5712 x 4284px to 1200 x 900 px and replaced the originals.

Looks like you had a helper there on the construction site.
Thank you did not know that but good to know for the future. Yes indeed a few helpers were running around haha

Well I decided to add the cement board for insurance since they need a non combustible for the back to be within 24 inches even though it’s fine per manufacturing instructions to be closer without any protection. So I added this up 6 foot of wall.

I couldn’t figure out how to compress the image from a phone

That insurance requirement (if phrased properly here) does not make any sense; adding a non-combustible without significant R-value is not going to change the temperature of the combustibles behind it much, unless there's venting behind the non-combustible and before the combustible is reached (see vented wall shield structure).

Ah well, you know you're safe because you followed the mfg instructions (which have been tested to be safe), regardless of what the insurance knows.

Ya they said if it’s sheet rock the back can be 24 inches away if it’s drywall it has to be 36 inches away. Who knows the mfg lopi says with double walled the corners can be 7.5 inches from drywall with only an ember mat below it so this is over kill for sure

I couldn’t figure out how to compress the image from a phone
Send the image to yourself via email and select a smaller size.

Ya they said if it’s sheet rock the back can be 24 inches away if it’s drywall it has to be 36 inches away. Who knows the mfg lopi says with double walled the corners can be 7.5 inches from drywall with only an ember mat below it so this is over kill for sure
That is the requirement for an unlisted stove. In this case the manufacturer's tested clearances supersede this but some insurance underwriters are still living in the 1980s.

Send the image to yourself via email and select a smaller size.

That is the requirement for an unlisted stove. In this case the manufacturer's tested clearances supersede this but some insurance underwriters are still living in the 1980s.
That is really good to know in case there is ever a concern or question