Lopi Liberty from 1999

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRat

Feb 29, 2016
A Mountain in Colorado
Does anyone happen to know if there are any significant differences between a Lopi Liberty from 1999 we may be inheriting soon, vs a brand new model? Likely purchasing a house soon with a Liberty installed, but I'm not quite sure how applicable the current Liberty manual is (dated 2013) vs the 1999 model. I am interested in an outdoor air intake and if their new push button "Green Start" thing could be retrofit to the 1999 model but I should probably just ask Lopi directly I suppose.

No changes that I know of other than the Green Start option which is not a necessity. Dry kindling and dry wood make firestarting easy. SuperCedars make it child's play.

No you can't retrofit a greenstart to an old stove. You won't want it anyway, it's very noisy and takes way too long.. Also makes the glass dirty right at the start. It runs an air pump for 15 minutes and it's so noisy! No thanks!
The ashlip is now a cast piece of molded aluminum . The old one was flat steel with a trim piece that caught ash and randomly popped off while cleaning. Another change would be the fasteners that hold the secondary burn tubes in place. The '99 would have push pins rather than roll pins which are more reliable. Not a biggie, but a difference.
The door shell has changed. The old model used set screws at the bottom that held the shell on, it works its way loose periodically. The new door shell has screws that fasten through the door frame and hold the shell securely. It's a nice improvement. These are not differences you'd notice at the hearth shop really, but you would within the first year of burning.

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.