Lopi Freedom Bay Air System Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwatson64

Feb 4, 2011
TN
I recently bought a used Lopi Freedom Bay Insert. First Fire last night and loved it for the most part. I have one problem I need help with.

If I close the door the fire smothers out. If I left the door cracked about a half inch then air got in there and it burned nicely. The air control system is malfunctioning somehow....could it be clogged? How to i unclog it or any ideas on where I can find a diagram or info on how to clean it? The Owners Manual does not show it.

make sure wood is dry!

I owned the same stove. The air control is backwards of what you would expect. Try moving the air control all the way the other direction and see if you get more air to the fire.

The bottom control is inlet air on this mighty Lopi which I have and am very pleased with. Think of it as an automobile gas/throttle peddle; push it all the way in (towards the rear of stove) to go fast. That will be maximum air in. The top control is for the bypass damper. All the way in is normal operations for best efficiency and air pollution control. It directs smoke under the fresh air baffles then up the front side and back across under the main top plate (to transfer heat to room), then up and out. Pulling the upper bypass control lever out lets the smoke (and heat) go straight out the flue. You run it with this pulled out when starting the fire until going well. I also open the bypass damper when loading wood so the exhaust smoke remains in the rear of furnace going straight out the flue. If you open the door w/out doing this some smoke will puff into the room. The bottom damper control can be pulled out to extend burn times. This will lessen inlet air after the fire is going well with some coals. Good dry wood is must when damped down or else your window will creosote up and most likely the chimney too. Enjoy!

All of these replies are good solid answers and I am seeing many of the same things u guys are.

How can I tell if the air system is clogged. I found the opening underneath and can tell that it goes towards the sides.

I can get a fire hot in there, it heats well, but I am still having to leave the door cracked to get enough air in there for it to burn. If I close door completely, the fire goes out and all I have is hot coals.

I have that same stove and haven't had a problem with clogged air inlet or draft. The air intake is just above the bottom damper pull handle- you should be able to reach around that handle and feel it (it feels kind of like a screen). I've also noticed if too much ash accumulates in the front center of the firebox it won't draft as well- that's where at least some of the air enters the firebox; I try to keep ash raked toward the side.

Do you have a flu liner or is your setup a slammer?

dwatson64 said:
All of these replies are good solid answers and I am seeing many of the same things u guys are.

How can I tell if the air system is clogged. I found the opening underneath and can tell that it goes towards the sides.

I can get a fire hot in there, it heats well, but I am still having to leave the door cracked to get enough air in there for it to burn. If I close door completely, the fire goes out and all I have is hot coals.

Tell us about the wood you are burning and the chimney setup. Believe me. We hear many times a year this same thing with people burning in an EPA stove for the first time and they all think the intake is stopped up. And it never is. These stoves require very dry wood and a strong draft to burn well. A lot stronger draft than old style stoves. Just the way it is. And the fact that it burns good with the door cracked open says that it is probably insufficient chimney draft and/or possibly the wood.

My Father in law gives me wood, he has a Buck Stove 4 twenty years. So I think the wood is good and dry.

I am inclined to think it may be the flu set up. We have the exhaust pipe up to the existing flu. I have held off on the side panels til it is burning right. I thought it was pulling air well cause when adding wood if smoke leaks out it goes over the top and the chimney pulls it right up. So not sure. If I can get this solved, it seems to work really well. You guys thoughts are tremendous and helpful!

Finally got this solved!

Put in a straight pipe and used the panels to seal the sides and top. It pulls the air thru the unit much much better now.

Still got to figure out what air and flu setting is the best to get as much heat as possible, but I feel like I am headed that way now.

Any tips you other guys have is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Lopi Freedom Bay Air System Question
    IMG00598.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 548
I have run my old freedom bay up well past 800 by stuffing it with 14 splits north-south. Once those splits take off and you reduce the air to zero, the secondary action will look great and the stove will heat up fast.

Soudns like you had a "slammer" install with just enough chimney pipe in to get you to the first flue tile. Then no surround panels! You had ruined your draft as the chimney was finding it way easier to pull room air up the chimney than to pull air through your stove. So now your chimney is sucking air through your stove.

Just wondering something....where does the air enter the box from the vent on bottom?

Does ash prevent or hamper the air?

How often do u guys empty the ash in ur firebox?

The air inlet is right in front, 3x2 square box w/ holes in it. I have been in the hearth industry for many years and have yet to hear of one plugging up. I am running the Liberty 24/7 which is the same fire box as the freedom and freedom bay and I scoop out the ashes on average every 20-25 days. Good Luck and enjoy a great stove

Status
Not open for further replies.