Lopi Declaration scheduled to be installed today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamure

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
N. Nevada
I'm very excited! :-) Here's to hoping / praying it all goes well. I got my little woodshed built and stocked with a cord of almond and a half cord of softwood. Fire ring stocked on the porch. Weather is finally starting to cool down, so I'm ready!

My main concern is that there may be an issue with clearance to the mantel, in which case the mantel will have to be raised. I'm a woodworker so I can probably do this without too much problem. I'm wondering if this is something I'll have to (or should) do myself, or if the installer will handle it. There is a heatilator vent thing in the middle of the mantel, which I assume would need some kind of sheetmetal ducting or something to move it up. Not sure how that's going to work.

Here's a pic of the current set up. Hopefully I'll be able to post "after" pics soon!

[Hearth.com] Lopi Declaration scheduled to be installed today!

Your NFI Certified installer probably took mantle clearances when he was there to site check the job prior to installation. That being the case, I would imagine they will make the needed provisions. Double check the clearances with the owners manual just in case afterwards.

Well, here is the after-pic. (Assuming my webhost is working... acting wonky tonight):

Try the attachment if this pic doesn't work. Grr.

So the black surround almost covers the vents on the side. It looks... well... stupid. :(

That's my fault, I never figured the measurements of the surround, just the measurements to be sure the thing would fit in the space.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? Do you know if you can cut those panels? I couldn't cut the top one, because it needs to cover the hole. So would it look funny do you think if I cut the two side panels about 4" or so, but not the top panel?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Lopi Declaration scheduled to be installed today!
    insert.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 689
What about getting a larger panel...worse case scenario cut out to fit vents and paint to match.

A bigger panel is a good idea. It would be easy, but would cover up most the brick, unfortunately.

tamure said:
Well, here is the after-pic. (Assuming my webhost is working... acting wonky tonight):

Try the attachment if this pic doesn't work. Grr.

So the black surround almost covers the vents on the side. It looks... well... stupid. :(

That's my fault, I never figured the measurements of the surround, just the measurements to be sure the thing would fit in the space.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? Do you know if you can cut those panels? I couldn't cut the top one, because it needs to cover the hole. So would it look funny do you think if I cut the two side panels about 4" or so, but not the top panel?

Take some white chock and draw a line on both sides 4 inch and see what it will look like. Stand back look get opinions from deferent people. Then leave the room for a while and come back take another look. Might change your mind. Look at the top panel and compare sides to top. I did a cut and copy paste on you stove to give you an idea. Call and ask the stove people if the panels can be cut. If they can use a power jig saw with metal cutting blade and straight edge clamped and go real slow. paint edge with high temp. stove paint. The first picture is after the cut. the second one is the partial vent painted black.
Wipe of the chock with damp rag, Make sure the stove is cold when doing this.

Attachments

insert5 (Small).webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 622
    insert 3 (Small).webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 656
Thanks, Fake coal burner, that helps alot. I will play with photoshop some more to see what it will look like with a bigger panel also.

Why cut only 4"? It might need to be cut more than that to look right. Does the surround serve any purpose other than aesthetics?

tamure said:
Thanks, Fake coal burner, that helps alot. I will play with photoshop some more to see what it will look like with a bigger panel also.

Why cut only 4"? It might need to be cut more than that to look right. Does the surround serve any purpose other than aesthetics?

If you have a block off plate at the fire place dampener you would be ok. keeps heat from going up the chimney and cold air from coming in to room when not used. I only did the 4 inch because I did not know the size of the vent. If the vent is still connected might work as gravity type vent also cold air in hot air out the top vent. I think you will be ok with more cut especially if you have a brick lip left. not a black seam hole. they are for looks those panels.
If you can take the panels off of the sides. Take and make a card board templet to your size you need paint it black tape it up there. See how it looks to your liking. Better that ruining the panels if it doesn't suite you.

Well, I had them come out and trim the surround today. I think it looks way better. It doesn't maintain the rectangular shape of the stove, but that is OK. Much better than the mostly-covered vents, I think. I will probably have to raise the mantel by 3" to make proper clearances. I think it will look better then, because there will be more brick showing on top.

Now, about that power cord. The installer said they don't do hardwiring. Is there anything wrong with just running some 12/2 romex up through the floor, and in through the side where the power cord is now?

Attachments

fireplace3.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 556
tamure said:
Well, I had them come out and trim the surround today. I think it looks way better. It doesn't maintain the rectangular shape of the stove, but that is OK. Much better than the mostly-covered vents, I think. I will probably have to raise the mantel by 3" to make proper clearances. I think it will look better then, because there will be more brick showing on top.

Now, about that power cord. The installer said they don't do hardwiring. Is there anything wrong with just running some 12/2 romex up through the floor, and in through the side where the power cord is now?

I like the stove panels the way you hand them cut. The brick showing is what did the trick. Are you going to hard wire the blower direct or in stall a plug receptacle inside behind the panell? I think romex might not take the heat.

I was thinking of just hardwiring it directly, with no receptacle, since you wouldn't be able to get to the receptacle behind the panel anyway. Another avenue, but I don't know if this meets code, would be to cut the plug off the existing power cord, run it through a hole in the floor, and hardwire it in a jbox under the house. That would be the easiest and probably look the best.

Or, I suppose I could install a new receptacle in the wall between the stove and coat closet, and just plug it in. Would still have the cord hanging around. I would just have to bunch it up and try to keep it neat.

Hey Tamure,

I was looking into possibly buying a Lopi Freedom insert. How exactly does the surround get installed around the insert? I am looking to do the installation myself.

Thanks,
Kevin

Your surround looks good trimmed back for the grilles. Also, good looking insert. I would be tempted to paint the white side grilles same color as the brick. Painted white like they are, draws your eye away from the insert to the grilles.

Status
Not open for further replies.