Looooooong burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
nelraq said:
My local blaze king dealer indicated to me that an 8 x 12 clay chimney is too large for the BKKing. the 8x12 is actually 6 x 10 ID; which equals 60 square inches of chimney.

The BKK calls for an 8" round chimney - which is 50.24 square inches.
I am guessing that an 8 x12 may work if your chimney runs through the house; but it's not likely to work if it is an outside chimney.

Also, you can't put an 8" round liner down an 8 x 12 chimney. The dealer said that it is possible to remove the clay liner in order to get the 8" round in. Probably would be quite expensive to do this though!

I was thinking the same thing, not necessarily because of cross sectional area alone, but that area combined with poor insulation. The King's exhaust runs cool, and needs a well insulated chimney to draw well.

Barring 8", the Princess or a Woodstock sound best for long efficient burns. I've never put cast iron as a high priority, so I don't know what the best cats are with that restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.