Looooooong burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I'm home by myself this weekend since I have to work... and the times I'm solo the wood stove can never last my work day. I come home to cold white powder. Running a test right now, got it packed up as full as I can and also with a couple pieces of locust in there (usually burn mostly cherry, hoping BL gives a bit more burn time). We'll see if there is anything left when I get home.

My typical door to door time for work is 14hrs. We're shopping for a new stove, just curious if there are any stoves out there that would actually make 14hr burns possible (excluding all other considerations we have)?

I'm getting 26 to 28 hours per load in the BK.

Keeping the house average of 74℉ with outside temps in the mid to upper 20's lows in the teens.

If I wanted to bundle up, I'm sure I could stretch it out a little more?

Been burning 2 years old Cherry almost exclusively.

Sometimes a split of ash or black locust.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Hiram

north of 60 said:

lmao

Thanks North, you made my day. (coughing)

Imagine my smile when I see a thread named "Loooooooong Burns" with Hiram as the latest poster. :lol:

Oh, if only there were a brand that was famous for burning a long time!

And if only that brand had a bunch of happy owners, continually shouting the virtues of their stoves to the world!

Wouldn't that be sweet!!??

But where is that stove? And where are those happy owners?

Where could they be???!!! :wow:

Merry Christmas Hiram!! Wow, congrats on the great burning.

Which are you replacing, the Jotul insert or the big ol stove?

Tough to beat Blaze King for long burns.

The Country Flame BBF and Buck 91 will give you those long burns and can either be installed as a freestander or insert but you will also need an 8" chimney.

When I hear about such long burn times in the BKK, I can't help but wonder.........BTU's are BTU's, right? If one load of wood can burn for 20+ hours, there are still only so many BTU's available to heat the house. A LONG low burn to extend the burn time would seem to just distribute the BTU's over a very long period - perhaps good for shoulder season, but it seems that the BTU's in one load of wood couldn't keep up with the heating demands of a home when temps are cool (even in the 20's). But, I suppose the proof is in the pudding. If some folks are getting burns this long, keeping the house in the low 70's, and doing this at pretty cool temps, I guess that's that. Just seems like magic to me! Cheers!

Keep in mind the BK king requires a 8 inch chimney

NH_Wood said:
When I hear about such long burn times in the BKK, I can't help but wonder.........BTU's are BTU's, right? If one load of wood can burn for 20+ hours, there are still only so many BTU's available to heat the house.

You are not the first to wonder, good sir! You and the OP should find this relevant:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/722377/

The upshot?

The Blaze King King holds 730,000 BTU worth of wood, and burns it efficiently over a period of the operator's choosing--anywhere from 12 to 48 hours.

For example, it can put out 35KBTU/hour for 17 hours.

Not magic, but pretty spiffy.

The King specifies a 8" flue, the Princess 6".

I couldn't find any local Blaze King dealers when I bought my current stove this spring, which really helped narrow things down. I did find a good selection of stoves in Fredericktown... and ended up with a Summit Classic, which has absolutely no problem having coals in 14-16 hours. Now the heat cycle is much shorter...but if I load this thing up with even silver maple and cherry and get it turned down, it will make lots of heat, and have tons of coals available to restoke the fire when I get home. I will admit, I taught my wife how to add wood and run the stove, and the house stays warm even without me here.

Whatever you get, good luck! (Oh yeah, hope your new stove takes the same length split as your last one or you will spend a lot of time shortening wood! I have cut down four cords so far, and still have two to go.)

NH_Wood said:
When I hear about such long burn times in the BKK, I can't help but wonder.........BTU's are BTU's, right? If one load of wood can burn for 20+ hours, there are still only so many BTU's available to heat the house. A LONG low burn to extend the burn time would seem to just distribute the BTU's over a very long period - perhaps good for shoulder season, but it seems that the BTU's in one load of wood couldn't keep up with the heating demands of a home when temps are cool (even in the 20's). But, I suppose the proof is in the pudding. If some folks are getting burns this long, keeping the house in the low 70's, and doing this at pretty cool temps, I guess that's that. Just seems like magic to me! Cheers!

What you have to understand is this stove holds a "lot o wood" ;-)

see this post https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58519/

[Hearth.com] Looooooong burn times?

NH_Wood said:

You are right, BTU's are BTU's. The ability to control when you want to use those BTU's are where the BK stoves shine. A combination of thermostatic control, cat, and large firebox are unique to the BK stoves, and those that own them will tell you that the burn times are not bs. Those that don't own one can't seem to grasp that concept. There is no magic, and no need to open the window when the stove is running too hot either, because you have more control over that stove with the thermostatic control.

If you read the BK literature, they will tell you that the King will put off 90,000 BTU's, but you are going to have to stand there and feed it wood, they are not claiming that the stove will put off 90,000 BTU's for 40 hours on one load. Calculate out the btu's per hour on high and low burn rate with a load of oak, and the burn times are accurate.

Hiram Maxim said:
NH_Wood said:

see this post https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58519/

[Hearth.com] Looooooong burn times?

Well, alrighty then! I understand the deal now. That is a lot of wood and a lot of BTU's! Looks like at least two of the three loads I put into the stove per day. I was imagining a 'typical' load of 8-10 normal sized splits. That cart photo is, quite simply, and pardon my well earned french - a SH!TLOAD of wood. I can't help but imagine a troop of clowns climbing into a Le Car. That's awesome and I'm sure you are enjoying the ability to load up, and burn for such long periods. Congrats! Cheers!

So I want to hear someone tell what the reload time is on a high burn rate. Problem with stove comparisons is everyone's situation is a little different. One guy says the BK is heating his house all day to 74 degrees in 20 degree temps. But just what does that mean. It could mean almost anything. I want to visit a home for myself were the BK is firing and see for myself what its like. I've already been to a house where a Vermont Castings was on and I'm sorry, it wasn't even close to the warmth I'm used to and it was only trying to heat one floor. I live in central Ohio. PM me for a visit.

Hiram Maxim said:

Judging by the black on the glass, you choke that sucker way back.

I own both a cat and non cat stove and have been using both of them as we speak, my cat stove is very small compared to a blaze king, but the burn times and steady stove top temps are putting my non cat stove to shame, everybody that comes to the house and sits around couple of hours are amazed at long burn times and steady temps my fireview can maintain. you have to own a cat stove to believe it or know someone that has one, but you have to have good dry wood.

If you replace the Jotul with the BK let me know as I can make the long drive down to take it off your hands ;)

LLigetfa said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Judging by your post I assume you didn't read the post! :lol:

Hiram Maxim said:
LLigetfa said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Ja, I read the post but the real answer doesn't fit with this thread's topic. Call it pathetic license.

LLigetfa said:
Hiram Maxim said:
LLigetfa said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Ja, I read the post but the real answer doesn't fit with this thread's topic. Call it pathetic license.

Ummmmmm Yeah! :coolsmirk:

Hiram Maxim said:
I'm getting 26 to 28 hours per load in the BK.

Keeping the house average of 74℉ with outside temps in the mid to upper 20's lows in the teens.

If I wanted to bundle up, I'm sure I could stretch it out a little more?

Been burning 2 years old Cherry almost exclusively.

Sometimes a split of ash or black locust.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Hiram

Very impressive! I knew lots of folks get overnight burns but 26 to 28 is almost hard to believe!

daleeper said:
Which are you replacing, the Jotul insert or the big ol stove?

Tough to beat Blaze King for long burns.

That would be the 'big ol stove' that is in need of replacing.

Todd said:
The Country Flame BBF and Buck 91 will give you those long burns and can either be installed as a freestander or insert but you will also need an 8" chimney.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. There are lots of other factors in our decision but I am just curious what can do the long burns without any other considerations.

The stove right now is an 8x12 clay chimney. Going with an 8" stove would actually save us some money since we may be able to avoid relining.

Our stove we have right now is huge, I can fit about double the wood the Rockland holds, but so far no way can I get it to burn 14 hrs... 8hrs is lucky. I came home to cold white powder once again. Had to light off a super cedar. Its got the big round screw air ports which are a pita to set anyhow.

One fear I had with a stove that will burn that long is I figured it would throw off too much heat... the house is big but splitting up the duty with the Rockland would put me in a 'medium' size stove need for replacement. But if it can burn that long without melting the place down, that is impressive.

My local blaze king dealer indicated to me that an 8 x 12 clay chimney is too large for the BKKing. the 8x12 is actually 6 x 10 ID; which equals 60 square inches of chimney.

The BKK calls for an 8" round chimney - which is 50.24 square inches.
I am guessing that an 8 x12 may work if your chimney runs through the house; but it's not likely to work if it is an outside chimney.

Also, you can't put an 8" round liner down an 8 x 12 chimney. The dealer said that it is possible to remove the clay liner in order to get the 8" round in. Probably would be quite expensive to do this though!

nelraq said:
My local blaze king dealer indicated to me that an 8 x 12 clay chimney is too large for the BKKing. the 8x12 is actually 6 x 10 ID; which equals 60 square inches of chimney.

The BKK calls for an 8" round chimney - which is 50.24 square inches.
I am guessing that an 8 x12 may work if your chimney runs through the house; but it's not likely to work if it is an outside chimney.

Also, you can't put an 8" round liner down an 8 x 12 chimney. The dealer said that it is possible to remove the clay liner in order to get the 8" round in. Probably would be quite expensive to do this though!

Its internal chimney, but its not very tall, through a finished attic and about 3' more above the roof. I forget the exact measurement.

As far as relining I figure I'll end up getting a smaller 6" stove so will probably reline with that, I know I cant reline an 8x12 with 8" round.

I'll throw out a more specific question though, are there any cast iron 6" stoves out there that could do the 14hr burn time? The only one I recall looking at that is actually rated that high is the QF Isle Royale at 14.5-19.4hr but thats just the manufacturer rating, and the slightly smaller Cumberland Gap (that we are seriously looking at) 11.7-15.7 but I take those manufacturer numbers with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.