Looking to upgrade my old stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The super 27 will be down to nothing but a couple of coals on low overnight seems to me because the firebox is so small I can't fit much wood in.
Our next door neighbor has the Spectrum with the same firebox. They normally get 10 hr burn times with this stove, but it is understandable with the uninsulated concrete walls that the stove is being pushed much harder. This is not an issue of firebox size so much as it is one of heat loss.

Truth be told by the sounds of things you are overfiring the stoves and burning the crap out of them to remedy the situation.

It costs way more than a few hundred to insulate an entire basement. Beleive me i just did it.
Yes, but now you have added value to the house and savings for as long as you live there and so on for the next owners too.

Our next door neighbor has the Spectrum with the same firebox. They normally get 10 hr burn times with this stove, but it is understandable with the uninsulated concrete walls that the stove is being pushed much harder. This is not an issue of firebox size so much as it is one of heat loss.

Truth be told by the sounds of things you are overfiring the stoves and burning the crap out of them to remedy the situation.
I don't overfire all night, ive got a temp gauge and it stays at the proper burn temp. They have been overfired before we bought the place as they are in rough shape. But if the stove is filled right to the brim, has a nice bed of hot coals, put on the lowest setting and left there all night translate into heatloss? Like the stove is sealed what does it matter if I am losing heat to poor insulation I am still only getting 6 hours.

Or are you saying if I had better insulation and did the exact same thing I do every night I am magically going to get another 4 hours of burntime? Because I cannot wrap my head around that wood will burn longer in a sealed firebox longer if the temperature inside the room that the stove is in gets hotter.

I guess I should add that the 12 year old stoves need some extensive work, all new brick, some of the sides have been heat damaged, the baffles are all bent and in poor shape.
What I am saying is that 8 hr burn times with a 2 cu ft stove are pretty common. And the Super 27 gets even longer burn times due to it's coupled air control design. If the stoves have been compromised by damage done previous owners then they may never perform well again unless repaired. It's possible with warped baffle for a lot of wood gases to bypass the baffle and head out the flue without warming the house. This is just speculation of course without seeing actual pictures of the stove installations and the insides of their fireboxes.

Thank you all for the advice. Now before I go and buy the Ponderosa any reason why I should buy something different?
. Looking to upgrade my old stoves

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the DS engery max 160. Its a little utility but it looks like its up to the task.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, but now you have added value to the house and savings for as long as you live there and so on for the next owners too.
Absolutely. I am by no means saying it isn't worth it. Just that the claim it would cost a couple hundred is way off

I heat primarily with a new Super 27, great stove super easy to clean bulletproof.

If I were you id just buy A Summit especially since you want long burn times.

Old leaky farm house, Tall Chimney maybe 30 L/F, 180 years old
House was built for wood heat, it all goes right up stairwell to bedrooms.
Looking to upgrade my old stoves
We load 3 times a day.
Easily Have a nice bed of coals at 10 hours more like 12.
However we burn hardwoods

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the DS engery max 160. Its a little utility but it looks like its up to the task.
I'm not a big fan of coal/wood burners. It's good that they finally are adding secondary tubes but this is not EPA certified and with dubious efficiency claims (at least for wood burning).

I heat primarily with a new Super 27, great stove super easy to clean bulletproof.

If I were you id just buy A Summit especially since you want long burn times.

Old leaky farm house, Tall Chimney maybe 30 L/F, 180 years old
House was built for wood heat, it all goes right up stairwell to bedrooms.
View attachment 236903
We load 3 times a day.
Easily Have a nice bed of coals at 10 hours more like 12.
However we burn hardwoods
The 27 gets good long burns even with softwoods. The Summit doesn't get that much longer burn times, it just puts out more heat for the same duration.

Last edited:
Hello Millerburg , if you have access to affordable and reliable coal supply that is definitely the way to go almost any coal burner is capable of 10-12 hr burns producing heat the entire time . I’m in a similar situation my basement is uninsulated , but semi finished with Sheetrock ceilings and paneling on stud walls with about 8” air gap from foundation walls to paneling . With this setup it takes about 4 hours to warm the basement from a cold start .i would definitely consider a multi fuel burner unless you only have acces to wood

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I work on lots of ds stoves and i am far from impressed with their engineering performance or durability.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Hello Millerburg , if you have access to affordable and reliable coal supply that is definitely the way to go almost any coal burner is capable of 10-12 hr burns producing heat the entire time . I’m in a similar situation my basement is uninsulated , but semi finished with Sheetrock ceilings and paneling on stud walls with about 8” air gap from foundation walls to paneling . With this setup it takes about 4 hours to warm the basement from a cold start .i would definitely consider a multi fuel burner unless you only have acces to wood
I burnt coal for a while but didnt like the smell or dirt. And combo units are either good at one or the other almost never both.

if I had better insulation and did the exact same thing I do every night I am magically going to get another 4 hours of burntime?
No, but the heat created will be released into the house rather than through the basement walls, so the upstairs temp will take longer to drop below a comfortable level.

I burnt coal for a while but didnt like the smell or dirt. And combo units are either good at one or the other almost never both.
Coal quality can vary greatly sometimes rocks , mud and debris packed in bags , wet anthracite smells horrible I agree but if dry no smell no smoke , unless it’s bituminous

Coal quality can vary greatly sometimes rocks , mud and debris packed in bags , wet anthracite smells horrible I agree but if dry no smell no smoke , unless it’s bituminous
I only burnt anthracite I am in the middle of pa coal country. We have some of the best coal available. And to me coal stinks. It stinks when dry unburnt. It stinks when burning and the ash stinks. Some people don't mind it but I do.

I only burnt anthracite I am in the middle of pa coal country. We have some of the best coal available. And to me coal stinks. It stinks when dry unburnt. It stinks when burning and the ash stinks. Some people don't mind it but I do.
As a sweep I can understand your disdain for coal . But there is no comparison for BTU , per pound or length of consistent thermal output

As a sweep I can understand your disdain for coal . But there is no comparison for BTU , per pound or length of consistent thermal output
Btu per pound no. Consitent themal output is matched by high end cat stoves.