Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Camp Bohica

Jun 19, 2024
Wisconsin
First time posting. We have to replace an older Regency wood stove (a couple of cracks have emerged in the back of the firebox and the chimney cleaner suggested replacement) in our small cabin (not quite 800 sq ft.) Have gotten estimates from 2 places and will be getting a 3rd at the end of the week. 2 of them suggested Quadrafires (one was the Millenium and the other was a Discovery) or Vermont Castings and one of them also suggested an Osburn. I already ruled out the Vermont Castings because it seems a little complicated and one of the dealers actually verified this. So, now leaning towards either the Osburn or Quadrafire. The Osburn has a variety of options, including nickel door trim and options for pedestal/legs and ash pan/drawer. The Quadrafired really only seems to have the color tile option in the Discovery model. I'm not too sure about the under the firebox wood storage, though. I really want some type of trim/accessories to eliminate a basic/plain looking wood stove. But I do not want to sacrifice quality either. The smaller models were all suggested for both brands due to size of the cabin. We may end up eventually adding on, however, and I want to accommodate for that possibility. So, I was thinking about more of one of the medium size models, that might accommodate somewhat larger sq footage than we have now. I doubt it would be more than a little over 2000, though. Anyone have any feedback, experience, thoughts on these models or suggestions? TIA

Did you buy the regency. If so they have a lifetime warranty on the firebox

Reactions: Camp Bohica
Actually, I bought it used from a friend, whom knew someone who was flipping a house. Apparently, the stove had been sitting in the garage. It served us well for the 9 yrs we've had it and will actually heat us right out of the place, as it's really too big for the application. lol. Needless to say, no warranty. Thanks for the thought, though.

Maybe look into the cast iron clad steel fire box stoves such as PE T5 and Jotul f45. They have a nice cast iron look but a stout welded steel firebox. Both seem to be easy to operate and give off nice even heat.

The Blaze King Ashford is also this style, has a catalyst and has very long low output burns which may be a better fit if you plan on adding on later.

Reactions: Camp Bohica
How often are you using the cabin? Weekends, hunting season etc. Do you plan on living there full time in the next 10+ years?
Do you use the cabin in the winter months? Year round?

Some wood heaters do a better job at heating up space in a much faster time period. You can sacrifice small amount efficiency but get more BTU output. Getting the weekend cabin in the winter warm as fast as possible should be taken into account.

Lots of choices out there! How about more detail in how you expect to use the cabin and expectations of the wood heater.

BKVP

How often are you using the cabin? Weekends, hunting season etc. Do you plan on living there full time in the next 10+ years?
Do you use the cabin in the winter months? Year round?

Some wood heaters do a better job at heating up space in a much faster time period. You can sacrifice small amount efficiency but get more BTU output. Getting the weekend cabin in the winter warm as fast as possible should be taken into account.

Lots of choices out there! How about more detail in how you expect to use the cabin and expectations of the wood heater.

BKVP
Good questions and thanks for pointing them out. We use it year round and a small furnace was just installed last Fall to be the main heat source when we are not there (keep the thermostat at 54.) But when we're there, the main source of heat would be the wood stove. I have a smart thermostat and bump it up on the day we're driving up. So, it's already close to warm when we get there and doesn't take hours after lighting the wood stove. We are there close to every other weekend in the Summer, almost every weekend in the Fall (hunting), and every few weekends in the Winter (snow dependent because we like to snowmobile) and Spring (turkey hunting and wood cutting.) Eventually, we hope to retire there or somewhere up North, which either means adding on or moving elsewhere (which then we'd be starting new with wood stove or fireplace.) There's no solid plan for retirement yet, but it would be probably in the 10-15 year range. Also, nice Bull in your avatar btw.

Well this offers you a narrowing of the field to some degree. With the cabin currently at 800 sq ft, you would likely either need a very small stove or one that can be turned down with lower btu output. Several catalytic/hybrid models offer lower Btu range operation (with no flame). You seem to have really liked the Regency that served you well (as a used stove) and they do make some catalytic/hybrid models to consider. Can the cracks in the older stove be repaired?

Can you narrow down the "look" of the wood heater you might favor? Steel, cast iron, contemporary or more traditional?

BKVP

PS I was just in the Dells for industry presentation. You best drive slowly as I saw dozens of deer running everywhere along he highways. Some were laying down playing possum!

Well this offers you a narrowing of the field to some degree. With the cabin currently at 800 sq ft, you would likely either need a very small stove or one that can be turned down with lower btu output. Several catalytic/hybrid models offer lower Btu range operation (with no flame). You seem to have really liked the Regency that served you well (as a used stove) and they do make some catalytic/hybrid models to consider. Can the cracks in the older stove be repaired?

Can you narrow down the "look" of the wood heater you might favor? Steel, cast iron, contemporary or more traditional?

BKVP

PS I was just in the Dells for industry presentation. You best drive slowly as I saw dozens of deer running everywhere along he highways. Some were laying down playing possum!
To be honest, I don't really know the differences or advantages/disadvantages of the material the stove is made of. I assumed the Regency we have was cast iron, but it is pitting in spots and has some rust appearing. This may indicate it's not cast? It has gold trim on the door, hinges, and handle. So, I would like some type of trim package on whatever new one we get. I do like the looks of the nickel that comes as an option on the Osburn. It looked like the Quadrafires didn't have trim options, other than the Discovery, which is only a decorative tile holder feature. While nice, I would prefer something like the nickel trim.
I don't think the cracks (in the top rear edge of the fire) of the firebox are repairable because it was the chimney cleaning company that pointed them out and said the stove was at the end of it's life expectancy.
And yes there are a lot of deer near the Dells area!

There are stoves that are cast iron (look at Jotul). There are steel stoves (look at Pacific Energy or Quadrafire. Then there are steel stoves (the firebox) that have cast steel sides, top and front to make them look like cast iron. Steel stoves are often, sometimes in error, considered better because the seams are all welded. Some cast iron models have sides, tops, bottoms and tops cemented together, that after many, many years may require rebuilding. I think while there are some examples of this, it is less and issue that some may claim it to be.

So which look do you prefer? Isolate the look then you can refine the search. (Remember to consult with significant other!)

Top image is cast iron, bottom is steel.

BKVP

Cast Iron.JPG

Steel Stove.JPG

Aren't most of the ones like the top one a catalyst type?
For reference, here are pics of what we currently have and the problem it has causing need for replacement.

Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire) Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire)Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire)

Those cracks are in the secondary air system, not.to the outside...?
That should be fixable if it's the only problem location?

Those cracks are in the secondary air system, not.to the outside...?
That should be fixable if it's the only problem location?
Agreed. Part should be available...

Agreed. Part should be available...
Regency doesn't have repair kits like quadrafire does. They don't have nearly the issue quad had with this

So is that air channel removable? If so, a welder could fix that easy.

(If) those two internal cracks shown in the secondary air system are the only significant wear/damage I would not consider that to be an absolute reason for replacement.

The worn/damaged area is "to my knowledge" not a structurally integral stove component and really may only affect the secondary burn efficiency.

If that stove fulfills the requirements otherwise, I'd be inclined to take a swing at getting that repaired.

My opinion. Good luck.

(If) those two internal cracks shown in the secondary air system are the only significant wear/damage I would not consider that to be an absolute reason for replacement.

The worn/damaged area is "to my knowledge" not a structurally integral stove component and really may only affect the secondary burn efficiency.

If that stove fulfills the requirements otherwise, I'd be inclined to take a swing at getting that repaired.

My opinion. Good luck.
Yeah I have welded a few and people generally get another 5 years or so out of the stoves that way

Reactions: moresnow
Sorry, haven't responded and have been a little busy. Don't shoot the messenger on the replacement. It was the chimney cleaning company that said we had 2 seasons left on the stove. And I took them for their word, as they only clean the stove and aren't trying to sell me a new one. As for welding, my brother just had a coworker that went that route and was told he'd get a few more years out of it. Unfortunately, he didn't get another full season out of the repair. Besides, with the rust/pitting that has started, I would look forward to something brand new. Also, not to mention, the fact I shouldn't probably have to replace again in my lifetime.
I had another company come out for an estimate. While it's more expensive than the 2 previous ones, he was willing to listen to what I wanted and actually came out to look at it. The other 2 companies would not send anyone out to just give an estimate, which I thought was weird. One of them actually said they purposely put 2 trips in their estimate, in case they come to install and realized they need something else and have to run back to the shop. Weird, but ok. And the one that did come out did say I they would need to replace the pipe that goes from the unti to the ceiling, because it is single wall and has a damper in it. Apparently, the new stoves require double wall and no damper. This guy also was adamant that the Osburne would fit the bill-being simpler to operate, accommodating for a bigger range of sq footage and accommodating longer logs. So, my other estimates probably are not comparing apples to apples, as they weren't incorporating replacing some of the pipe. Will have to try looking at all of them and then trying to compare.

Mfgs can't advise to add a damper. However, if your flue is too tall, a damper may be the only way to tame a stove.

So what's the flue height?

Double wall is much better; in particular if you run a bit lower - the heat should come out of the stove, and if the stove is efficient, the flue won't be hot enough to extract more heat from using single wall pipe. When running lower, you want to keep the heat that goes in there from escaping and hurting draft. (Burning at higher heat outputs does have enough heat in the flue to extract some, but the problem is that you won't be changing pipes between high burning midwinter and lower burning in the shoulder season...).

Osburns are good stoves, reading from the folks who have them.

Mfgs can't advise to add a damper. However, if your flue is too tall, a damper may be the only way to tame a stove.

So what's the flue height?

Double wall is much better; in particular if you run a bit lower - the heat should come out of the stove, and if the stove is efficient, the flue won't be hot enough to extract more heat from using single wall pipe. When running lower, you want to keep the heat that goes in there from escaping and hurting draft. (Burning at higher heat outputs does have enough heat in the flue to extract some, but the problem is that you won't be changing pipes between high burning midwinter and lower burning in the shoulder season...).

Osburns are good stoves, reading from the folks who have them.
I'm not exactly sure how to measure flue height and am an hour away, which means I don't have access to do so right now. If it's any consolation or gives you an idea, the length from the top of the stove to the first bend in the pipe is 26.5" The next section running up to the box where it enters the ceiling is at least that long and maybe another 6" as well. The pipe length above the roof must be around 6'.
I just got off the phone with the first place I talked to as well and he mentioned that the single vs double and wall clearances needed are per manufacturer and unit specific vs one size fits all. So, learned something else there. Surprisingly, the Quad estimate is still less according to what he said, even if I would replace the pipe. This would be comparing an Osburn 2000 and Quadafire Millenium 3100 (or Discovery II.) And it's quite a bit of difference, like $1k:eek:

You won't need a damper at that height (11' or so). In fact it may even be a bit short when it's not cold outside.

Do you know whether any of your candidates qualify for.the tax credit?

I'd just fix it. Even a temporary patch will buy years. If not welded, cut a 20ga tee patch out of stainless and screw it on.

Methinks the OP wants a good excuse to get a new stove...