Looking to buy an insert and need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I have a larger house at 3900 sqft. I have an arched fireplace and had an installer come by yesterday and he says the box is large enough to fit a good sized insert. He is recommending a Montlake 300. I am completely unfamiliar with this brand.

Here is a link to my old thread that showed the pics of the fireplace. Also, can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for an insert and installation? I know that can range, but I would like to get some ideas.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...to-this-arched-fireplace.153917/#post-2070118

Thanks.

You'll want the largest insert you can fit. Look in the 3.0 cu ft or larger range. The PE Summit, Lopi Freedom, Quadrafire 5100i, Regency i3100 or i2600 are possible candidates. The Montlake 300 is a new model so we have no track record. The smaller Montlake insert is a good heater, the finned exchanger helps heat transfer, but there were some quality control issues reported. This might have been during the period of transfer to IronStrike which now is a couple years ago.

You'll want the largest insert you can fit. Look in the 3.0 cu ft or larger range. The PE Summit, Lopi Freedom, Quadrafire 5100i, Regency i3100 or i2600 are possible candidates. The Montlake 300 is a new model so we have no track record. The smaller Montlake insert is a good heater, the finned exchanger helps heat transfer, but there were some quality control issues reported. This might have been during the period of transfer to IronStrike which now is a couple years ago.

I looked at the Quadrafire line up and I really like the Voyageur Grand. Or the Regency CI2600. Can you comment on those? I do like the flush mount look. But, am open to the other options.

Last edited:
There is a long thread on user experiences with the CI2600 (also available as the Hampton HI400 with cast iron surround). At 2.6 cu ft it's a bit smaller than the suggested models. It had disappointing short fires initially but Regency listened to user feedback and quickly came up with an air control mod that helped improve performance. The Quad Grand Voyageur is smaller yet at 2.3 cu ft. Flush inserts rely a lot more on the blower to convect heat and often lack an ashlip. Nice lookers but not the top performers for heat output, especially if the power goes out.

How about kuma sequoia? That's a big stove too, not flushed but people here like it.

Reactions: begreen
With that much area to heat I would look at a freestanding rear vent stove in front of the fireplace. Since you have an arched fireplace your chances of having enough height to do so are increased. You might have to put down a small hearth pad in front if you do a front loader, but you might be able to get away with a side loader like the Woodstock Fireview. For a front loader you could fit the Woodstock Ideal steel with short leg kit on that hearth, that would get you some more heating power.
Looking to buy an insert and need some advice

http://www.woodstove.com/fireview
http://www.woodstove.com/ideal-steel-hybrid

How about kuma sequoia?
With that much area to heat I would look at a freestanding rear vent stove in front of the fireplace.
Both are good suggestions. The Kuma Sequoia insert is big. What's unclear is whether the insert/stove will be just an area heater or if more will be expected from it. If just some supplemental heat and nice ambience fire then a flush insert will work. In that case another nice unit to look at is the Hearthstone Clydesdale. If the goal is to crank out as much heat from the space as possible, then a large freestanding stove with blower, standing on the hearth could be more effective.

Begreen, that is the problem. I need to find a balance. I don't want a free standing stove intruding into the room. I realize that will serve as the better tool for heating. My wife and I want this to be pleasing to the eye, as it will be in the main TV room and visible right from the kitchen. There is a lot of foot traffic here. I am not sure there is anything that can really heat the whole house since it is large and I don't have any amazing way to get the warm air upstairs. So, I know I am looking at an insert, not a stove. I am sure I will be using my oil burner also. But, I 'd like to save some dough on oil and I don't the oil burner could heat the room the same way as the insert. I know the stove would heat better, but the flush inserts are much more appealing to us. The inserts that protrude a bit are contenders as well, but don't look as nice to us..

The quadra fire says it can go to 2800 sqft, but does only 58,000 btu. The Clydesdale btu seems to be about 75,000. That seems like a large difference. I am not 100% sold on the flush style, but we definitely prefer the look of those. So, I'd love to find one that looks good and heats pretty well.

Last edited:
Really beautifull flush insert would be avalon's wood flush plus

Begreen, that is the problem. I need to find a balance. I don't want a free standing stove intruding into the room. I realize that will serve as the better tool for heating. My wife and I want this to be pleasing to the eye, as it will be in the main TV room and visible right from the kitchen. There is a lot of foot traffic here. I am not sure there is anything that can really heat the whole house since it is large and I don't have any amazing way to get the warm air upstairs. So, I know I am looking at an insert, not a stove. I am sure I will be using my oil burner also. But, I 'd like to save some dough on oil and I don't the oil burner could heat the room the same way as the insert. I know the stove would heat better, but the flush inserts are much more appealing to us. The inserts that protrude a bit are contenders as well, but don't look as nice to us..

The quadra fire says it can go to 2800 sqft, but does only 58,000 btu. The Clydesdale btu seems to be about 75,000. That seems like a large difference. I am not 100% sold on the flush style, but we definitely prefer the look of those. So, I'd love to find one that looks good and heats pretty well.
Stove ratings are often marketing driven. There are multiple ways to measure output (EPA and peak). A better estimate for heat output will be by the firebox size.

Beautiful fireplace. Always a struggle when it comes to looks vs functionality, that's for sure. Best of luck with whatever you decide. I service a Jotul stove annually that was installed into a similar firebox. The customer opted to leave the surround off and had a block off plate installed. Looks really nice, heats the home nicely but the sqft is no where near what you mentioned.

Well, it looks like the quad voyaguer grand will not fit in properly. I was told it requires 32 inch width at 2 foot high and the opening is right at 29 inches at that height.

Last edited:
How about the Hampton HI400 or Vermont Castings Montpelier? One is some sort of catalytic burner and one is not. Can someone tell me the pros and cons or have feedback on either of these units? Thanks.

There is an extensive thread here on the Regency CI2600 which is essentially the same as the HI400 without the cast iron surround. This insert had a little rough start with short burn times when it was first released but Regency responded quickly with a field modification (now standard) that appears to have fixed the problem. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/

@KaptJaq has a Montpelier and can provide you with more info.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-house-we-are-buying-with-vc-insert.153841/#post-2066954

It really seems like the HI400 with the OS surround will fit and cover my opening nicely. I really hope this is a good unit. Anybody have any feedback on the newer models? All problems ironed out? This seems to be a pricier unit. Is this a good brand with a good track record? It is kind of hard to find something to fit my arched fireplace and this looks like it might work.

I would look for something that can be loaded front to back with a 16" log as well.

One installer says that he won't touch Harman products. Any problems with this company's reputation? I am waiting to hear back as to why the installer won't get involved with Harman, but am curious about how you guys feel about Harman products. I was interested in the HI400.

Are you confusing Harman with Hampton? Hampton is made by Regency.

Well, my installer says the Regency is the worst company out there and he would not deal with them. No reason was provided. The problem is that, on paper, the HI400 or CI2600, which I understand is the same model, is the best insert for my needs. The problem is that I am still in reading a long thread about the unit and am not sure if people are satisfied or if this is a problematic stove. In addition, another dealer has told me that the part to replace the catalytic is only $125. But, I am hearing more like $500, so I am beginning to doubt the second dealer. The cost of the catalytic and the idea that it has to be replaced was one of my concerns with a catalytic stove.
So, that leaves me in a bit of limbo. I am going to continue to read that long thread, but I may start a new thread about this unit in particular to see if people are pleased with it.

Reactions: davidmsem
It's good that you are getting second opinions. There are many happy Regency owners here. Hard to say what the dealer was quoting, was that price for an OEM or aftermarket cat? @bholler do you have a retail price on a CI2600 catalytic combustor?

@bholler do you have a retail price on a CI2600 catalytic combustor?
No I dont I can get a price mon though. But I do know they have a warantee on them. I believe it is 10 year but I could be wrong.

How about the Hampton HI400 or Vermont Castings Montpelier? One is some sort of catalytic burner and one is not. Can someone tell me the pros and cons or have feedback on either of these units? Thanks.

I have the Montpelier and it is not a big stove so it would miss your heat output target. However it is a beautiful stove, especially with the 3" extension kit and the Mead surround.

View attachment 185176
View attachment 185175
View attachment 185175 View attachment 185176

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.