Looking for system designer recommendation - Central Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecky

Hearth Supporter
Aug 9, 2008
Central Ontario, Canada
I am having a very difficult time finding a system designer to integrate solar, and a GARN with 2 hydronic floors and DHW. I am trying to run the system off-grid (DC) as much as possible. Any recommendations for someone for Central Ontario?

We just had a system designed by Wolseley Mechanical in Kingston. Although we haven't put in wood yet, we did plan for it initially. No solar though - again that may be added. Everything has worked exactly as planned. Drop me a private message if you want more details.

Brad

Living off grid for 5 years now. Using an AC inverter. Outdoor wood boiler, radiant heat circulating with the Grundfos Alpha pumps.

Pretty much self designed as the trades are more familiar with conventional systems. Compatability and power consumption aren't things they get to excited about with off grid life.

The solar installers I've met are grid tied.

Try http://www.outbackpower.com for information from their forum.
and www.homepower.com

Singlemalt said:
Living off grid for 5 years now. Using an AC inverter. Outdoor wood boiler, radiant heat circulating with the Grundfos Alpha pumps.

Pretty much self designed as the trades are more familiar with conventional systems. Compatability and power consumption aren't things they get to excited about with off grid life.

The solar installers I've met are grid tied.

Try http://www.outbackpower.com for information from their forum.
and www.homepower.com

Thanks for the info. I hear you on the trades! As for your system, it seems to line up very well with mine. If you get the chance, I would love to get more details, schematic, whatever about it.

Cheers,
Paul

My off grid system consists of two parallel arrays. (1500watts and 1000watts) running to two Outback charge controllers.
24 v battery bank (12 2 volt surrette batteries for 1766 ah)
Xantrex inverter.
Flexnet with a Mate to help monitor the system.

The rest of the house is conventional.

Using a WoodDoctor outdoor boiler for hot water and radiant hot water heat. The circulating pumps were power pigs until we installed the Grundfos Alphas. One runs continuously.

We cook with propane.

Jim

Who did you get the Garn from and are they of no help on your project?

Status
Not open for further replies.