Looking for stove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KingPoland

Jun 17, 2020
Northern Virginia
Per the subject, I'm in the market for a wood stove and figured the wise minds here may have some good input. In my previous house in New England I heated exclusively with a Hearthstone Clydesdale wood stove insert, but this go around I'm only planning to burn for supplemental heat, am looking to save money, and am thinking of installing a freestanding stove in a masonry fireplace (see picture). Fireplace dimensions are D-23", H-30", and W-34" in the back, location is the basement, and house is a split level just under 1800 sq ft in Northern VA. I do plan to increase the insulation and sealing in the house in a year or two as well, so a slightly undersized unit may not be a big deal.

I currently have my eye on an England Stove Works stove, the 50-TNC-13, which I can get for $600 reconditioned + tax. Any reason why this wouldn't work, or is there something that may work better without being overly expensive (>$1200)? From my research, England Stove Works, SBI, Hearth and Home Technologies, and GHP group all make good quality stoves that are a good value and have good part availability, so I'm leaning toward those manufacturers.

Looking for stove recommendation

The 13-NC is a good medium-size insert and that is a nice price. Who did the reconditioning? Is this thru AM/FM Energy?

Good, that is the Englander outlet store. The freestander is a nice, medium-sized workhorse. Nothing flashy, but it heats well. It must have at least 15' of flue to draft properly and of course, fully seasoned firewood.

I think the flue is somewhere between 20'-25', so no problems there.

Honestly, I wish the 50-TRSSW01 came with legs or a shorter pedestal so it would work with my 30" height limit as I would prefer a deeper firebox. While the 30-NC works with my dimensions, I feel like its a monster for my use case.

Does the 1800 sq ft include the basement area? How will the heat get upstairs? Is there a large open stairwell nearby or is the intent to only heat the basement?

Does the 1800 sq ft include the basement area? How will the heat get upstairs? Is there a large open stairwell nearby or is the intent to only heat the basement?
The 1800 sq ft does include the basement. There is a large open stairwell 15 feet away from the existing fireplace, and the mid-level is very open, so I don't foresee any issues with heat getting to other parts of the house.

If you want another Clydesdale I’m selling mine in the classifieds section. About 4 hours from Northern Virginia.

Reactions: KingPoland
The 1800 sq ft does include the basement. There is a large open stairwell 15 feet away from the existing fireplace, and the mid-level is very open, so I don't foresee any issues with heat getting to other parts of the house.
The 30NC should work ok. You don't need to fill it full all the time. It will burn fine with a partial load of 5-6 splits. When those cold fronts descend from the Ohio valley, you will be loading it up full. Here is an install in VA.

BrotherBart 30 first fire.jpg

I don't think you can go too big if heating form the basement.

Reactions: KingPoland
Welcome to the Forums !

The Englander 13 is an awesome heater!! Love mine.

Now for the con ;) :

Burn time max is 4 - 6 hours with primo firewood (got your stash started??? I think you do :) )
You will NOT get an over night burn, unless you are up 2 -3 times a night.

I'd got with the 30. You can build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but not a bigger fire in a small box.

Reactions: begreen
I just came across a mid-range Englander W03 I've never seen anywhere that just barely meets my height but looks really promising. Assuming the pull out ash drawer would work with my clearances inside the fireplace.

Looks like it is also EPA 2020 compliant. Anyone know anything about this model? Looks like a brand new model.

Looks like a new model that is not listed on Englander's website. They seem to be showing only pellet stoves right now. Seems like there is a change in the winds at Englander. The stove looks like it's an update to the 50-SSW02. It's 30" high. That's too tight. You need a bit of wiggle room for connecting the liner to the stove.

Last edited:
Looks like a new model that is not listed on Englander's website. They seem to be showing only pellet stoves right now. Seems like there is a change in the winds at Englander. The stove looks like it's an update to the 50-SSW02. It's 30" high. That's too tight. You need a bit of wiggle room for connecting the liner to the stove.
Perhaps there is a version with short legs instead of the pedestal, albeit at a loss of the ash pan.

The stove looks like it's an update to the 50-SSW02. It's 30" high. That's too tight. You need a bit of wiggle room for connecting the liner to the stove.

I was not able to edit my original post, but the height on the front 3.5" wide lip of the fireplace is actually 29.5" possibly causing an interference depending on if the stove top is 30" or the flue collar is 30". To begreen's point, even if this stove could fit, it would be so tight that moving it to connect the liner would be challenging if not impossible. But with the fireplace lip only being 29.5", even the NC-30 could have challenges getting in.

Also I was reading that the EPA 2020 mandate was postponed until Nov 30. It may make sense for me to wait a little bit as other stoves come on the market. And non 2020 stoves get discounted further?

Stove height is the issue. The 13-NC may be the best affordable bet that fits. A bigger insert would also fit, but it will cost more.

Perhaps there is a version with short legs instead of the pedestal, albeit at a loss of the ash pan.
I doubt it. It looks like the ash dump is integral. FWIW, they never made a leg version of the 50 SSW01 or 02.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the NC-13. I appreciate the feedback and guidance I received here.

Next step is to shop around for a chimney liner install that won't break the bank!

I just came across a mid-range Englander W03 I've never seen anywhere that just barely meets my height but looks really promising. Assuming the pull out ash drawer would work with my clearances inside the fireplace.

Looks like it is also EPA 2020 compliant. Anyone know anything about this model? Looks like a brand new model.

I just purchased a 15-W03. I emptied ash from the firebox , down into the pan a few days ago. I was very disappointed, when removing the ash pan, to find that the pan is not situated directly below the hole, and that about half of the ash falls around the outside of the stove. Very poor design as far as I am concerned. I was even more disappointed by the response I received from the manufacturer. I was simply told that the best way to remove ash is with a shovel or a vacuum, and directly out of the firebox, without even trying to use the ash pan. Does your stove have this misaligned ash pan? Thanks

I just purchased a 15-W03. I emptied ash from the firebox , down into the pan a few days ago. I was very disappointed, when removing the ash pan, to find that the pan is not situated directly below the hole, and that about half of the ash falls around the outside of the stove. Very poor design as far as I am concerned. I was even more disappointed by the response I received from the manufacturer. I was simply told that the best way to remove ash is with a shovel or a vacuum, and directly out of the firebox, without even trying to use the ash pan. Does your stove have this misaligned ash pan? Thanks

I ended up with the Englander 13 model, and honestly haven't even bothered with the ash pan given how shallow it is. I may try it sometime just to see how it works, but sounds like the new model was poorly designed.

Also given I installed inside a fireplace I stuffed a bunch of rockwool up the chimney and made a blockoff out of steel flashing. Tube on the back is outside air - although I probably should have put the hole farther to the left. This little stove puts out some serious heat.

Attachments

• Looking for stove recommendation
    IMG_20201130_192710564.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 156