Looking for recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jennifer Gray

Oct 29, 2019
North Carolina
What paint colors is the best to use on the interior walls in a room that uses a wood stove to heat. I have used Antique white for many years however it seems like I have to repaint every year. I currently have a hard wood floor ( Oak color) in the room and Navy Blue furniture and Trim

Our walls are Navaho White. They haven't been repainted in years and still look good. I just checked behind a picture and there is little difference in color. If your walls are getting seriously discolored in a year or two because of the wood stove then something is quite wrong.

I agree with begreen if they are getting discolored from smoke staining fix that problem and the paint color won't matter

Our walls are Navaho White. They haven't been repainted in years and still look good. I just checked behind a picture and there is little difference in color. If your walls are getting seriously discolored in a year or two because of the wood stove then something is quite wrong.
Not discolored just not as bright as when first painted. We did purchase a newer wood stove this past summer because our other one was over 60 years old and we believed it was no longer efficient, and I'm wanting to go ahead and repaint the room.

What stove make/model is this? Do you smell smoke in the house at any time?

If you can post a picture of the stove with the stove pipe included that may provide a helpful clue.

Not discolored just not as bright as when first painted. We did purchase a newer wood stove this past summer because our other one was over 60 years old and we believed it was no longer efficient, and I'm wanting to go ahead and repaint the room.
With a new stove, burning fully seasoned wood and properly installed this should not be an issue. Paint the room whatever color you want.

If the problem persists then the issue may be with the chimney/flue system or possibly negative pressure in the room. Do you have a CO monitor in the room?

With a new stove, burning fully seasoned wood and properly installed this should not be an issue. Paint the room whatever color you want.

If the problem persists then the issue may be with the chimney/flue system or possibly negative pressure in the room. Do you have a CO monitor in the room?
Yes we have a CO monitor. Could our older stove possibly be leaking a small amount of smoke out of it. Not enough to set off CO monitor but enough to make my white walls look faded and dull

Yes we have a CO monitor. Could our older stove possibly be leaking a small amount of smoke out of it. Not enough to set off CO monitor but enough to make my white walls look faded and dull
It's possible. After 60 yrs of service it may have developed a crack or seam leak. Or it could have been the way the stove was run or it could be a case of weak draft. If it is the last case, the new stove may actually run worse than the new stove. Modern EPA stoves require proper draft and fully seasoned wood to perform properly.

Agree with everyone else . . . a properly functioning and drafting woodstove should not affect the paint.