looking for insert, Fireplace is too large

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you order the Magnaflex Insuflex 20 ft liner kit you can save 3-400. That's because it's already insulated and has an outer aluminum protective flex tube. That eliminates the foil, the mesh and the insulation roll.
Liner Kit 509.96
Profoil 186.73
Promesh 84.08
Tape 68.25

Total $849.02

Magnafex 20 ft kit is like $435 shipped.

I'm not a dealer nor am I affiliated with any company or sales.

Save $414

Since you are doing it yourself, why not. That's what I used. It's about 7-3/8" outside dia.

Here's my pipe..

(broken image removed)

Here's the kit..

(broken image removed)

You couldn't ovalize the insulflex to get it through the damper though, so you would either need to cut out the damper so the pipe isn't constricted, (that's what a lot of us do) or get a section of uninsulated ovalized that you could attach to the insulflex above the damper.
It is a pretty handy product, that's what I used too. and the price did include all the adaptors and the cap and plate and everything.

You almost always have to cut the damper anyway. Took me all of about 30 minutes. There is no way my fireplace is ever going back to an open heat robber as long as I own it. How many fireplaces are returned to open fireplaces I wonder?

And that gets $300 more in savings by eliminating the oval stuff.

So you save $700 by using Insuflex and cutting the damper.

Even with the damper removed, the throat is going to be narrow with that box. Ask the shop to give you a quote for the job using Duraliner instead. Duraliner is preinsulated and makes a round to oval section for passing through the damper area. Part 4636-OR.

Duraliner catalog: (broken link removed to http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/DuraLiner_2011cat_web.pdf)
For comparison pricing check out here: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=66

BeGreen said:
VCBurner said:
Any stove rated to heat 2000 sq ft will struggle to heat your house out of that big room. In my opinion, that is a perfect setting for an Equinox.

The Mansfield at 3.2 cu ft is a big stove and it has a 6" flue collar. The Equinox is 8". I wouldn't want to try and thread an 8" liner past that narrow damper throat.

Good call BG, I didn't realize how small his openning was. The Mansfield sounds like it may be a better fit vent wise.

Smitty, As far as the liner kit look up some prices on Ebay, the online businesses usually have lower prices than dealers. The shops usually have a lot more mark up. I've been told by a dealer himself that they cannot compete with the internet based guys. You may be able to find something for about half the price.

As others have stated, you'd save a ton of money and heartache by cutting out a part of your old flue. You could get a 6"x20' flex king liner kit with all the parts you'd need (except the block off plate, which you could make yourself out of some sheetmetal) for about $250-300 on Ebay ($450-500 with insulation). Not only would it be cheaper but would also draft better than with an offset box. It would also be a heck of a lot easier to clean with a Tee. Clean from the inside with a sooteater without having to step foot outside (for the most part.)
(broken link removed to http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x20-316TI-Flexible-Chimney-Liner-Insert-Kit-/350467449393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51997ce231)

Just type in chimney liner kits on Ebay, lot of options there.

Just wondering what the overall feeling is on a used stove. I found a couple on Craigslist around me (The Mansfield and Phoenix). If I could get a used stove and shop around for all those parts, I could cut that $4,000 in half. What sort of things should I look for If I was to buy a used stove?

I picked up my Equinox used but only for a season for $2000. It did need a new ceramic baffle as the one in it was damaged by the sweep. New one is $4250.

smitty79 said:
Just wondering what the overall feeling is on a used stove. I found a couple on Craigslist around me (The Mansfield and Phoenix). If I could get a used stove and shop around for all those parts, I could cut that $4,000 in half. What sort of things should I look for If I was to buy a used stove?

I'm sure other more knowlegeable folks will chime in soon, but if you're looking at used soapstone stoves, obviously check for cracks in the stone and other signs of overfiring. Check the seams, the baffle, the door and gaskets. If it's a steel or cast iron stove, overfiring will ususally show up as a whitish color. Baffles and gaskets are easily replaced (as a general rule). Replacing stones or castings can be more costly, I assume.

smitty79 said:

There seem to be great deals on used stoves but it's all about the timing, I saw a Lopi Revere (fancier version of my stove) on CL the next year for just a few hundred bucks, but oh well! Just be careful like those guys say that the condition is good, and also that you are not overpaying, considering the tax credit you can get from a new stove and considering that you will have to do more with the transport.

You'll need to be careful buying a used stove and really give it a thorough looking over for hints of overfiring, cracks or any signs of abuse. Try to get one that was babied and only run on weekends, even if it costs a bit more.

smitty79 said:
Educate yourself on the particulars of each individual stove you look at. Find out the model number of the stove and if possible the manufacturing date. Use the search bar here to search about the stove. What things usually go wrong with each particular stove? Information like this will give you the upper hand while shopping for a used stove. Put the stove you find here on its own thread asking questions about it. I like to say that I'd rather not buy a brand new stove, there are way too many people out there who get rid of like new stoves due to health reasons, relocations and other reasons. Why buy brand new if you can pay half or less on a lightly used one? Just make sure you know what you're buying, people here will help with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.