Looking for higher quality stove thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I've used low end HomeSaver and Rutland brand stove top thermometers but never really trusted them. Had to replace every few years as they fail. Need another again and ready to pay a little more if there is something with a reputation for good quality. Suggestions?

I like the Condar stove top thermometer but if you want better accuracy look into the Arbor thermocouple thermometers.

I've got a Condar and a Midwest heart, both are magnetic one is for stove top and one is for flue. They are old, like 25-30 years old, and they both check fine against my IR thermometer.

Used a Condar for a few years after switching to double wall stove pipe. Then we went digital and it is so much better without the lag of the bimetallic coil type thermometer. We still have the Condar as a backup, and if the digital quits or we have a power outage it can go right back in.

Used a Condar for a few years after switching to double wall stove pipe. Then we went digital and it is so much better without the lag of the bimetallic coil type thermometer. We still have the Condar as a backup, and if the digital quits or we have a power outage it can go right back in.
Whoops, when I read thermometer I was thinking pipe probe. Now I see you are talking g about stove top. I pretty much just rely on the pipe probe now. For the rare occasion when I want to check the stove top, I use an IR gun. The Summit's blower blows across the stove top, so the magnetic stove top thermometers don't work well for it on top of the stove. I have one stuck to the face near the door but never look at it anymore.

I wish I could get Sandhill to reproduce our stovetop thermometer. We got it from our dealer when we bought our VC Resolute in 1980. I have had it on every stove since and it still is reasonably accurate when checked with the IR thermometer. It has a glass dial cover which has kept it looking like new. I like the clear and simple black on white indication.

sandhill.jpg