Looking for advice on many things - New Construction!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ceedubbie

Jul 12, 2024
Virginia
Hi everyone, new here and new to heating a home with wood. I am having some serious issues making decisions about wood stove placement in our new home build, which I'm chalking up to being green on this subject.

Background info - Below are the drawings that our drafter came up with for us, she didn't know how to draw it otherwise. However, we will NOT be constructing a chimney, I am happy just running a flue up through the house. Based on what I've read, I think we will need Class A flue pipe.

Another layout picture to show wood stove placement in regards to the living room.

Now for my indecisiveness. The house we are building is 2200 on the main floor, over a fully unfinished (but totally insulated) basement. So our total SF is 4400. The stair well you see above is right of center of the house.

I feel like the current placement of the woodstove contributes to quite a bit of awkwardness in the living room but there's no other spot on the main floor to place a wood stove. So my follow up thought would be to put the woodstove in the basement, but this seems controversial as to the effectiveness amongst members. We would get creative with adding a small closet to hide the flue in. The other thought I have is ignoring the awkwardness of the living room, and then having a woodstove in the living room with another one in the basement. This would ideal if money weren't a factor, but I am trying to stay on budget here after all.

Thoughts that may be pros or cons?
We have 4 kids, 11, 4, 2, and newborn so the idea of not having the wood stove in the main area is nice.
Building on 40 acres, plenty of trees to harvest (I am aware that it can take a while for cord wood to dry as well)
The stairwell to the basement is open, maybe will help with airflow up from the basement if we went that route?

Really just looking for advice, suggestions, things I haven't thought of, what would you do in my shoes?, etc.

I like the stove upstairs and in sight.

Does the basement have access to bring wood in, or is it only accessible through the house?

I like double wall straight up with a freestanding wood stove. Hearths and stone work are nice, but she is something to be said for simplicity and ease of maintenance and repairs if you are DIY.

Double wall stove pipe is for the stove to the ceiling box.

Class A is for anything not visible from the stove room. Once the pipe hits the ceiling or goes through a wall, use Class A. The only exception is a masonry chimney with a liner.

A full layout of the house may help with placement.

I think it can’t have an HVAC vent it return within 10-15’ or so. You’ll have to look that up.

If you drop the masonry chimney work you won’t need any extra support, especially if you have a modern stove that requires ember protection only. The floor joists will hold it just fine, and you could afford that second stove in the basement.

You can put a temporary iron gate around the stove if that eases you mind with the kiddos.

Go ahead and get an Auber and don’t look back.

Last edited:
From the drawings it looks like the massive surrounding structure is what is crowding the living room. The stove doesn't need any of that. A close clearance stove will take up a lot less room. It could also be located in the lower left corner of the LR instead of in the middle. Our kids grew up around a wood stove. It was never an issue for burns. They learn Owee! Hot! pretty quickly. The closest we got to that was when my youngest was warming his butt in front of the stove and singed his PJs. Lesson learned there.