Looking for a good used wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't forget to visit your local fireplace shops! There are thousands of heavily discounted Step 1 heaters. This means they are excellent products that were emissions tested for EPA compliance prior to March of 2015. There are incredible discounts, some are mentioned in other threads on this site. Simply go into the stores and ask, "do you have any smoking (no pun here) deals on Step 1 wood stoves?" In visiting the stores you can often get excellent advise on products and local to you services.

As an individual that visits hundreds of store locations each year, I can tell you there are plenty of exceptional deals to be had.

And yes, once purchased, the stove is grand-fathered-in for your application. They may also have burn display models of Step 1 heaters, so ask them....give it a try!

Reactions: Gearhead660
Don't forget to visit your local fireplace shops! There are thousands of heavily discounted Step 1 heaters. This means they are excellent products that were emissions tested for EPA compliance prior to March of 2015. There are incredible discounts, some are mentioned in other threads on this site. Simply go into the stores and ask, "do you have any smoking (no pun here) deals on Step 1 wood stoves?" In visiting the stores you can often get excellent advise on products and local to you services.

As an individual that visits hundreds of store locations each year, I can tell you there are plenty of exceptional deals to be had.

And yes, once purchased, the stove is grand-fathered-in for your application. They may also have burn display models of Step 1 heaters, so ask them....give it a try!
One caviat to this is local ordinances. In Placer County, where I live, you can not sell your home unless it has a Phase 2 EPA stove or better if a stove is installed. If it is older, it must be destroyed or rendered useless prior to the sale. This rule will obviously get updated at some point to apply to the newer syandards. I updated to the latest standard stove to stay ahead of this local ordinance.

One caviat to this is local ordinances. In Placer County, where I live, you can not sell your home unless it has a Phase 2 EPA stove or better if a stove is installed. If it is older, it must be destroyed or rendered useless prior to the sale. This rule will obviously get updated at some point to apply to the newer syandards. I updated to the latest standard stove to stay ahead of this local ordinance.
I believe Phase 2 in your case refers to the first NSPS two step ruling. Phase 1 was 1988, Phase 2 was 1990. So the stove or insert would have to have been made and certified post 1990 (making it a Phase 2). The term "Phase" was not used in the 2015 NSPS. EPA purposely used the term "Step" to help differentiate. The same rule is for the entire state of Oregon.

Reactions: Mech e
There a several on Facebook market place in your area it will not let me post links on here. There is an ad from Aberdeen Maryland with new Napoleons discounted my guess is pre 2020 epa stoves

Last edited:
There a several on Facebook market place in your area it will not let me post links on here. There is an ad from Aberdeen Maryland with new Napoleons discounted my guess is pre 2020 epa stoves
Try it again please.

Any opinions on this old mill stove. A guy on fbook marketplace is asking $550 for it. looks to be in good shape. View attachment 254612View attachment 254613

That is a coal stove that "can" burn wood, but not as efficiently as coal.
You need to buy a stove for the size of the chimney and the area you're heating.
If you have a large masonry chimney flue, like 8 inches square from the basement up, the 6 inch insulated liner needed is going to cost much more than a used stove.

Just inspect it carefully for cracks. There have been many here looking at stoves that have been over fired. You can't tell. If it's a cat stove, it's probably bad.

Just inspect it carefully for cracks. There have been many here looking at stoves that have been over fired. You can't tell. If it's a cat stove, it's probably bad.
I have two stoves that I will sell. We sold the farm and brought a Quadrafire step top 3100 with us to this new place. It has been used for 3 years burning a total of 9 full cords of wood. I stopped cleaning the chimney it/I burns so clean. I love this stove. Next for sale and is currently being fired is a highly modified Olix air flow with glass door. Someone moved the flue outlet from the top to the rear and added secondary combustion air. It may burn cleaner than original but not nearly as clean as the Quad. 1200 for the Quad and 250 for the Olix. FivesevenOh7Too4. Six3 sixfive
Steve McCarthy. Wellsboro,PA

I have two stoves that I will sell. We sold the farm and brought a Quadrafire step top 3100 with us to this new place. It has been used for 3 years burning a total of 9 full cords of wood. I stopped cleaning the chimney it/I burns so clean. I love this stove. Next for sale and is currently being fired is a highly modified Olix air flow with glass door. Someone moved the flue outlet from the top to the rear and added secondary combustion air. It may burn cleaner than original but not nearly as clean as the Quad. 1200 for the Quad and 250 for the Olix. FivesevenOh7Too4. Six3 sixfive
Steve McCarthy. Wellsboro,PA
Post in the classified section here and on craigslist.

Quality stove. If it's in good shape, I would go for that over a "value" stove. Parts are all replaceable, if needed. I liked the "floating firebox" concept. I got a PE T5 for my SIL recently..same box as the Super.
I think the 27 was about 1800 new, without any options. Depending on how old it is, you might be able to get them to bite for 1000. Can you get any pics? The metal tag on the stove (which I think has the date it was made,) the secondary baffle in the top of the box? Check the stove body corners by the door for cracks. Talk to the person that ran it if you can, ask how their procedure for starting a fire in it, and see if it sounds like they are knowledgeable, and ask if it was ever over-fired. If it's fairly new, or they didn't use it much, or they were a conscientious operator, could be a great deal.
I got the Super 27 for $900. Stove didnt have 1/3 cord of wood burned through it. Stove looks brand new in and out. I couldnt believe he accepted my offer and it was only a 1 hour drive to pick it up.

I got the Super 27 for $900. Stove didnt have 1/3 cord of wood burned through it. Stove looks brand new in and out. I couldnt believe he accepted my offer and it was only a 1 hour drive to pick it up.
Congratulations. Sounds like you stole that. It's a good heater.

Now, tell us about the install location and how it will be vented. Are the basement walls insulated? Do you have a good supply of firewood that has already seasoned fully?

Now, tell us about the install location and how it will be vented. Are the basement walls insulated? Do you have a good supply of firewood that has already seasoned fully?
Basement walls are 8" block walls not grouted. About 1/3 of the basement is exposed on north side. Stove is located right beside basement steps to first floor.

And yes my dad has 4-5 cords of oak that has been seasoned for 2 years

Basement walls are 8" block walls not grouted. About 1/3 of the basement is exposed on north side. Stove is located right beside basement steps to first floor.
What do you mean not grouted?

Cinder block that isnt poured solid. I have seen some block foundations that are poured solid with grout or mortar.
Ok but no insulation? I just have never heard that called grouted

I got the Super 27 for $900. Stove didnt have 1/3 cord of wood burned through it. Stove looks brand new in and out.
Nice move, you'll like it. >> As mentioned, the bare block walls will soak up a lot of heat. What is the square footage upstairs that you hope to heat? Do the stairs come up in the center of that area?

1/3 retail is a steal for a used stove in good shape, but I'd pay what he did in a heartbeat, for a stove used that little. Nice get! ==c

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the wood stove world for the most part. I am looking for a good used wood stove to replace my dads old stove. The stove will be in the basement of a roughly 1600 sq ft ranch house. His chimney has excellent draft. There seems to be so many stoves out there and I really am not sure what to go with in terms of best brands, ease of use, catalytic vs non cat stoves. Any recommendations on a good easy to use stove would be greatly appreciated. He did say he'd like his next stove to have glass doors.
Personally I would stay away from cat stoves.

No insulation. Bare block walls
The heat loss through the walls is going to be high in that case, even on the non-exposed walls. You got a great deal and we'd love it to turn into a success, but it is not uncommon for folks to underestimate this heat loss and blame the stove. If the stove is close to the stairwell that may help get more heat upstairs.

How large is the basement and how many sq ft in the house?

It's great that you have dry wood. If it has been split and stacked for a couple of years it should be ready to burn. Does your dad top-cover it?

The heat loss through the walls is going to be high in that case, even on the non-exposed walls. You got a great deal and we'd love it to turn into a success, but it is not uncommon for folks to underestimate this heat loss and blame the stove. If the stove is close to the stairwell that may help get more heat upstairs.

How large is the basement and how many sq ft in the house?

It's great that you have dry wood. If it has been split and stacked for a couple of years it should be ready to burn. Does your dad top-cover it?
Meow / Jotul Firelite

Attachments

• Looking for a good used wood stove
    B2F9C142-404A-4A9E-86D2-EB325AEB381C.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 107