Log Splitter Cylinder Stopped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
I heard a quick clicking sound and then the cylinder stopped in mid split. I'm guessing a connection just broke. What to do? Should I pull the cylinder off and bring it to a Hydraulic shop and let them rebuild it? It is a small cylinder off of an 8-ton splitter. Or is it easier to just find another used cylinder and put it into place. I'm in farm country so there are cylinders around. This is the unit, Brave EZ split 8-ton. Any ideas? Jags? Thanks
1722042681192.png

A quick clicking sound you say? My first guess would be the drive between the motor and the hydraulic pump stripped/broke/etc. That would be the best outcome.

Reactions: qwee
Thanks, that sounds right - it was like the connection just broke. In the last year, I have broken the splitter's knive, the push wedge, and now this. This little Brave splitter is tough but it wasn't made for what I put it through. And I still have 15 cords of rounds sitting waiting to be split.