Log length guide...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cut. Use the bar as a reference and don't go over. Extra effort will be thwarted by large logs and non-square cuts. Every log is a good length, so long as they are not too long.

Agreed. I mark my bars at 18" giving me 3" wiggle room.

This is exactly what I do except I measured from the tip of the bar back toward the dogs. That way I line up my mark with the saw horizontal, then lift my saw to a vertical position maintaining the location of the bar tip on the log, slide the chain so the saw is in proper position to cut, and let chips fly...
Makes sense - marked the bar and will give a try in the morning.

I've always either eyeballed it or use a stick. For marking, I like the red markers (Home Depot has them). I may this next winter try making one like someone posted on this forum using PVC and blue chalk. Anyone remember that?

That's the one zap. Thanks.

This is exactly what I do except I measured from the tip of the bar back toward the dogs. That way I line up my mark with the saw horizontal, then lift my saw to a vertical position maintaining the location of the bar tip on the log, slide the chain so the saw is in proper position to cut, and let chips fly...
Placed a line by the dogs and it works great. The best part is I can measure either way depending on the circumstances.

I made one of these after trying a guide attached to the saw. I like it. I found that you need two holes to allow for right and left hand measuring (the holes have to be at an angle to the handle), so I made a split sleeve from a piece of 3/4 pipe split lengthwise. It rotates to cover one or both holes.

Log length guide...

Log length guide...

I've used a Mingo, but found that it tended to slip (causing longer cuts) on wood without bark or when it ran across the butt of a limb or other irregularity. Besides, $30!! Really!?

I just wack em. I have a good enough eye for length that 99.9% of them fit in the stoves. Now that I have 2 stoves, the big ones go in the big one and the little ones go in the little one ;)

Reactions: Ashful
The Quick Stix came in today. They are pretty flimsy, but for as cheap as they are?? They may last longer because they are so flexible?

Baileys does have some high S & H rates. But every once and awhile a coupon comes along and makes it worth while. Its only $10, but they have some cheapo bar and chain kits for around that price.

Log length guide... Log length guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.