Locust tree... How tuff to cut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
savageactor7 said:
Well I've cut all my PITA locust trees down except one...yeah they might have been a little harder to cut than maple or elm but I never gave it much thought as being that difficult. HUH!

I'd advise caution about doing this yourself. Pro trimmers that work in cherry pickers depend on learned life or death skill sets...that ain't us. Now if you could attach a line high up in the tree and direct it to a clear area with a tractor...well OK. If you want to spend a lifetime dicking with chain saws without injury if have quickly to own up to what you know...and what ya don't know.

I did tree work for three years most every weekend for my buddy. He had the equipment and I had the young, good back... not anymore!

We had one job where the developer built a house 4 feet from a 60' oak tree... and called us a week before the open house to take it down. We used two 3/4" lines attached to a dump truck and our flatbed and steered it away from the new house but what a dumb move on their part!

My nephew has quite a bit of experience taking these things down... and I have three sons with chainsaws and some ambition... too bad only one burns wood.

Here's the offender... is this a locust? My neighbors telling me it's a cottonwood....

locustone.gif

I dont understand why you cant get a proffesional tree service to take the job. 60 feet from the closest building is miles of room for a a pro. In dollars a big locust is going to eat up about $50 dollars more in saw chain and that can be figured into the bill. I remove locusts without thinking twice about it. I sometimes throw in a lowish bid just to get the firewood. 60 feet of clearance is a dream for a skilled professional.

avitar-2.jpg

[quote author="glenng" date="1257399301"]I dont understand why you cant get a proffesional tree service to take the job. 60 feet from the closest building is miles of room for a a pro. In dollars a big locust is going to eat up about $50 dollars more in saw chain and that can be figured into the bill. I remove locusts without thinking twice about it. I sometimes throw in a lowish bid just to get the firewood. 60 feet of clearance is a dream for a skilled professional.

I've had three out here and no one wants the job. Perhaps there are so many jobs to choose from they only take the easy ones... couldn't blame them for that. I did get estimates... $900.00 to drop it and cut it up... no removal. A couple years ago the best guy in town quoted $1200.00 with removal... but he wouldn't take the job.

I've gotta talk to my nephew....

Yup that's locust to me...besides didn't the pros that turned down the job say it was locust?

glenng said:
... In dollars a big locust is going to eat up about $50 dollars more in saw chain and that can be figured into the bill. ....

$50 more in chains? Does locust really wear out chains that much faster than other trees? I am surprised to hear a pro say that. I never noticed much difference between Locust and most other trees. My somewhat-wimpy chainsaw throws much smaller chips when i cut locust than when I cut other trees, but when I switch back to another tree, i get large chips again and assumed that the chain was no worse for wear.

Wacky1 said:
I have cut down some Locust and split them for fence posts around my farm. They are a little hard but I do not remember going thru a bunch of chains or sharpening any more than any other wood. They do last a long time for fencing. That was some 15 years ago and just the past few years I have had to start replacing a few. But it does burn well, similar to Hickory I think.

Locust ;-) Keeps me warm!!! Splits like a dream, And my Stihl eats it up!!!

savageactor7 said:
Yup that's locust to me...besides didn't the pros that turned down the job say it was locust?

Yeah... but I have no idea. I should ask my mother-in-law... she knows everything!

Wood Duck said:
glenng said:
... In dollars a big locust is going to eat up about $50 dollars more in saw chain and that can be figured into the bill. ....

$50 more in chains? Does locust really wear out chains that much faster than other trees? I am surprised to hear a pro say that. I never noticed much difference between Locust and most other trees. My somewhat-wimpy chainsaw throws much smaller chips when i cut locust than when I cut other trees, but when I switch back to another tree, i get large chips again and assumed that the chain was no worse for wear.

$50 is 1 chain on a large saw at the Stihl shop. I have no scientific way to quantify my "$50" statement but I change a lot of chains when removing a big Locust. Locust is known to be tough on saw chain. Theres a saying Ive heard "Tough as a locust post" . Pin Oak and Hickory are 2 other offenders that come to mind. Several things affect chain life. Density/Hardness (theres more to cut), moisture content (wet keeps the chain cool and acts as lubricant and this why dry dead trees dull chains faster than live trees of the same species) and also certain species pull earth into the wood as it grows( grit is actually in the wood).

When living a Locust is Hard, Dry and has embedded grit. I have seen sparks fly off when cutting it at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.