Lining old fire brick with sheetmetal in fireplace before wood stove installed in front

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jumperjack

Jan 13, 2014
northeast
Has anyone on here before installing a wood stove in front of old fireplace lined the sides and back with sheet metal to reflect heat back into the room? I have insulated the top with rock wool am now getting ready to install block off and thought I'd ask if anyone ever tried it. It is free-standing hearthstone

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone on here before installing
Wood stove in front of old firplace lined the sides and back with sheet metal to reflect heat back into the room. I have insulated the top with rock wool am now getting ready to install block off and thought I'd ask if anyone ever tried it. It is free standing hearthstone
Great idea. Even better, insulate behind sheet metal. Best idea, just cover the entire opening with sheet metal with Rock wool affixed to back of sheet. Cut a hole for the pipe. All the heat stays in the living space.

Has anyone on here before installing a wood stove in front of old fireplace lined the sides and back with sheet metal to reflect heat back into the room? I have insulated the top with rock wool am now getting ready to install block off and thought I'd ask if anyone ever tried it. It is free-standing hearthstone
Nothing wrong with that at all. Anything you can do to direct the heat back into the living space is good.

Is the liner insulated?