Liner repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BSS

Nov 3, 2019
Rhode Island
So I had an insert that I was never really happy with and I bought a jotul castine from a nice old lady to replace it with. I've cleaned up the firebox a bit and was looking at shortening my flex liner to fit a new stove connector when I saw what looked like a few small perforations in the side of the liner. It was installed by a supposed pro who cut out some of the old damper frame to make room for the liner. No surprise but the holes are right above a very sharp square corner that they left. This was about 5 years ago. Now I'm stuck wondering if there is a safe way to patch this, if there is a way to cut off the damage and splice in a section as it's about 8" up from where the cut for my new connector will go, or if I need to replace the whole thing. Awaiting you expert advice

Ben

Attachments

• Liner repair?
    IMG_20191103_124939.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 82
I would prefer to keep it to one coupler. If you need a 4-5' length of liner, ask some stove shops or sweeps if they have a piece that long from cutting down a longer length to fit the job.

The bad section is about 6 inches above where my connector will be so I will cut it about a foot higher to get rid of it. I’ll be using a 15 degree appliance connector plugged directly into the stove, this will have a new section of flex liner in it which will be about 8 inches and then the liner to liner connector. barring finding an off cut of flex I could buy a section of rigid pipe..seems like that is all that is available in short lengths. Do I need to seal these joints?

Personally I would cut the bottom off and add to the top instead of having the splice at the bottom

Personally I would cut the bottom off and add to the top instead of having the splice at the bottom
Why's that? I would think the splice being more toward the bottom would be better due to less weight hanging from the repair...

Why's that? I would think the splice being more toward the bottom would be better due to less weight hanging from the repair...
It is also putting the splice right where the liner gets the most heat. And where we typically see failures. I just feel more comfortable keeping the splice up away from the high heat area