Liner questions help im new lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I pulled my insulated 6" liner up the chimney last night with just my 17 yr old son feeding it from below. With the old flue liner knocked out, I had an 8.5" x 12.5" wide opening. Fashioned my own pulling cone from a 45deg elbow purchased at home center. Put a threaded rod through the top part just below where I formed a cone, sliding a chain on the rod. Rope dropped down from the top. Took 15 min with him pushing and me pulling and no real problems at all. We had about a 30deg angle to navigate from below to get past the smoke shelf.

Reactions: bholler
I never thought about going from the bottom up. That seems like it would work out great. I was wondering about that. I was going to drop it on from the top but was having a hard time finding someone I trust to be on the roof with me. I don't live very close to any family. Or freinds that can help. Has any one else done it this way?

Just from reading I would say that bottom up makes up 10-20% of the installs from top down.

Time to meet your neighbors. Seriously, a knock on a neighbors door and a polite request will almost always get you a helping hand. All my son did was connect the rope to the pulling cone after I dropped it down. He then fed the insulated liner into the chimney, pushing up about 18" to 24" each time, shaking it side to side as he pushed. With my pulling it too all of 15 min to get 28' up the hole.

So long as you are comfortable and safe on the roof near the top of the chimney, and as long as the new liner fits inside the old, it was not problem. There are advantages from a top down install, I didn't have a boom lift or scaffolding to make that method safe (and was too cheap to rent that equipment - saved me around $400).