Liner questions help im new lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I'm getting ready to do my insert but I have no clue what liner to get. I have looked at a bunch of different ones but I'm not sure what's better than others and where to order from. Thank you

I ordered from and liked Rockford Chimney Supply. Individual components or whole packages/kits are available. And their site is very easy to use.

I was looking there what's a good type to go with. And how do I know what size I need

Last edited:
I was looking there what's a good type to go with. And how do I know what size I need
The first thing is to get the existing chimney thoroughly cleaned, top to bottom, including the smoke shelf area. While that is being done, have the chimney flue dimensions measured so that you know the throat dimensions and height.

height of chimney from top to the fireplace

you will need to know the throat ID before ordering a liner.

Can we get a "Liner General FAQ" stickie at the top wrote by you @begreen or @bholler or another appropriate Moderator that has a list of places to get liners and the thicknesses, insulation advice and whatnot.

Could be a solution for about 1/4 of the topics lately.

Reactions: bholler
Not necessarily better, but sometimes easier to install. It depends on the flue interior dimensions.

I jus pulled the damper and its 11x11

Attachments

• Liner questions help im new lol
    20191029_192623.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 116
11x11 inside? If it’s a straight shot to the roof this makes it easy to install a insulated liner pre or wrap insulated flex liner. 90-45 bends in chimney sometimes needs a liner puller.

Can we get a "Liner General FAQ" stickie at the top wrote by you @begreen or @bholler or another appropriate Moderator that has a list of places to get liners and the thicknesses, insulation advice and whatnot.

Could be a solution for about 1/4 of the topics lately.

I was thinking about that when i posting this. I figured i was asking the same questions that had been asked before, but thank you all for bearing with me and all your help this is great site were everyone is very helpful. I'm on a few jeep fourms (my evil money pit hobby lol) . And once people start asking repeated questions the get bashed pretty hard for no reason. Thank you everyone for your help and kindness.

Reactions: bholler
One more dumb question how do I connect it to the insert. The flange on it 6". Do i just pull it over the flange and clamp it. Thank you

That was another question I had how well dose the block off need to be sealed.
The better the seal the more effective it will be. The outside is easy the part that is all but impossible to seal is around the liner

One more dumb question how do I connect it to the insert. The flange on it 6". Do i just pull it over the flange and clamp it. Thank you
You will order an adapter or elbow with your liner that the liner will slide into. And then that will slide into the stove. You will then secure everything

You will order an adapter or elbow with your liner that the liner will slide into. And then that will slide into the stove. You will then secure everything

Perfect one more dumb question. Are some rain caps better than others. The tile goes through the chimney cap probably 8" or so. I don't know the dimensions of the chimney though it was dark t get up there tonight. Thank you

Perfect one more dumb question. Are some rain caps better than others. The tile goes through the chimney cap probably 8" or so. I don't know the dimensions of the chimney though it was dark t get up there tonight. Thank you
The best cap really depends upon your situation. Do you have wind issues. Do you have issues with birds

No wind issues that I know of. It currently has a screened in rain cap. I was thinking of just getting something similar. Also one more dumb question how heavy is a liner say a 6" preinsulated. Around 25 feet long. I'm trying to figure out how much help I need to line up.

No wind issues that I know of. It currently has a screened in rain cap. I was thinking of just getting something similar. Also one more dumb question how heavy is a liner say a 6" preinsulated. Around 25 feet long. I'm trying to figure out how much help I need to line up.
I don't know I can handle an insulated 25' heavy wall liner myself. But that comes with lots of experience. I would have atleast 2 other people. It isnt so much the weight as it is figuring how to manuver it where you want it.

My chimney is on the outside end of the house.its a tri or split whatever the call it. I was thinking of getting some scaffolding from work to set up next to the house so I can lay the liner in the yard and have someone feed it to me on the roof

My chimney is on the outside end of the house.its a tri or split whatever the call it. I was thinking of getting some scaffolding from work to set up next to the house so I can lay the liner in the yard and have someone feed it to me on the roof
No you want it out across the roof