Liberty by Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TooClose

Aug 24, 2019
South Jersey
Hello burners,
New here with a question about repairing my 19 year old Liberty by Lopi.
I burn +/- 5 cords seasoned oak per season.
On the back of my stove the air channel is cracked. I am seeking advice on how to mend these cracks.
I have tried JB WeldBond high heat but it does not adhere to the metal areas affected. I am considering
cutting pieces of iron to cover the cracks but I am not confident that self tapping screws or rivets would
withstand the heat. Another idea was to use a combination of a metal plate over a bead of HH WeldBond
but still need ideas for fasteners.
The stove burns fine as it is but I have noticed that the air leaks reduce the effectiveness of the overhead
baffles a bit. I'll be replacing the forward and center baffle supports and several bricks, as well.
Any thoughts on repairing the cracks?
Thanks to all.
God Bless America

Attachments

• Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE2.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 236
  • Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE3.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE4.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE6.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Liberty by Lopi
    STOVE7.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 209
That's not looking good. I think Lopi added a shield to prevent this on later Liberties. You could try bolting in a patch with some refractory gasket material behind it, but that may only buy a season or two. After almost 100 cords and 20 yrs of full service I think I would be looking at investing in a new stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
Put a fork in her!

I'm going to fix my stove.
It won't be pretty but it will suffice.
I'll post pics of the repair when it's done.
Liberty by Lopi

Last edited by a moderator:
Use stainless for the patch with some soft gasket material behind it to seal the cracks as best as possible. Use stainless sheetmetal screws or stainless pop rivets to hold it in place.

Found a great piece of stainless to do the job.
The fact that it's already cornered should help a lot.
Ordered some true stainless pop rivets.
Begreen, any thoughts on a "soft gasket material" to use?
I'd like to reinforce the entire channel while I'm in there.
Septembers coming soon,
Thanks
Liberty by Lopi

Last edited by a moderator:
A wirefeed welder that works on a regular 120 volt household plug costs 100$ at harbor freight, comes with wire, even a face shield, and can weld a patch over the failed pieces. Lopi welded that thing in there and it was made of steel before.

I own one of these cheap wirefeed welders and it is very much like using a hot glue gun.