Let's talk about storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow57

Hearth Supporter
I have been searching the forums as well as the net for information on storage. I am finding solutions all over the spectrum. Some people have built 300 gallon storage systems using wood frame, plywood, and insulation with a liner. Then there are the manufactured systems. I have seen mention of using an oil tank, the complication here is that it is not for pressure. However, we aren't talking high pressures here, 30 PSI max.

So my questions:

What are people using for storage?

For most of us the most desirable vessel is a used (or new) propane tank. Pressurized storage is more efficient (higher temps, more useable heat), less costly (less plumbing) and typically less expensive. The downside is the requirement for large expansion tanks and the potential for local codes/requirements preventing closed pressure vessles (especially when using "used" tanks").

30psi on a 500 gallon propane tank is a LOT of force....it is not insignificant...

Seems every time this question comes up the answers are split on pressurized or non-pressurized. They both work fine and have pros and cons like Ford or Chevy.

The difference in cost is based on the materials used, complexity of heat exchangers, insulation type and thickness, capacity, etc, etc.

Lots of really good info on this site! Not much has changed over the last couple of years from what I've seen.

The first hand experience here is about as up to date as any. You could go to the manufacturers websites for technical info, case studies, etc.

I know of 6 or so un-pressurized tank manufacturers, for solar or wood buffers. Many open tanks are custom built by small, local fab shops. And of course DIY tanks.

There are dozen of pressurized tank manufactures either blank tanks or tanks with heat exchangers, with or without ASME listings. All of the water heater companies offer blank tanks. Lochinvar, AO Smith, Wessel, JW Wood, Bradford White, Rheem are a few.

hr

Give quick specifics on house size,whats your set up now? Radiant? Baseboard? Heat with oil?gas? If so, whats the btu's of unit that you are heating with now. Are you using a wood boiler now?

i have a 1800sq/ft, 2 story house,moderate insulation, 3 kids, etc. I'm able to use an 820gal unpressurized system tank to heat my house. Wouldn't want to be smaller storage than i have now. Do 1 fire a day in the middle of winter. 1 fire every 4 to 5 days for DHW in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.