Last fire last night!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
We had our last fire yesterday evening, todays forecast is great so I got out at 6am and have already swept the chimney.
Got just under a pint of soot, not bad as some of our wood was pine and other wood was not really that well seasoned.
That means all the standing dead wood I have collected over the last winter is now going forward to next season.
Just one joint to check on top of the stove as the fire cement is slightly cracked, and then a really good clean out inside the stove.

Then it's spring clean time and time to tend the tomato plants in the greenhouse.

Probably fit in a few beach trips too, just in case there is any driftwood washed up in nice bucked lengths ;-)

woodchip said:
We had our last fire yesterday evening, todays forecast is great so I got out at 6am and have already swept the chimney.
Got just under a pint of soot, not bad as some of our wood was pine and other wood was not really that well seasoned.
That means all the standing dead wood I have collected over the last winter is now going forward to next season.
Just one joint to check on top of the stove as the fire cement is slightly cracked, and then a really good clean out inside the stove.

Then it's spring clean time and time to tend the tomato plants in the greenhouse.

Probably fit in a few beach trips too, just in case there is any driftwood washed up in nice bucked lengths ;-)

Don't burn driftwood, it contains all kinds of salt and minerals that will wreak havoc on your stove and chimney.

Otherwise, sounds like you done good :-)

I'll probably use the driftwood in the firepit as I don't want to burn my precious stack of seasoning wood in the stove, you're right about the salt in it, I used to burn it on the open fire before we got the stove last year.

It surely would be nice if we could say we had our last fire..... It keeps snowing every day so far this week and more on the way. It's almost to us right now. Probably rain/snow until night and then all snow.

Backwoods Savage said:
It surely would be nice if we could say we had our last fire..... It keeps snowing every day so far this week and more on the way. It's almost to us right now. Probably rain/snow until night and then all snow.

We're done with snow here in Maine, but still plenty cold to use the heat. Been 50's-60's during the day and 30's at night lately.

Backwoods Savage said:

Same here.
Spring will get here some day.
Maybe by June I can put the stove to bed.
Also maybe by June my yard may turn into a nice green lawn instead of a mud pit.
No, cutting here yet, unless I want to do my impression of a dino in the La Brea tar pits.
On the brighter side and about 1mil years I would be made into oil. :)

We just got 6-12 inches of new snow overnight... spring in Montana for ya. lol

Winter still hanging on here.

Winter weather warning

Winter Storm watch

Issued at 3:44 PM ADT Tuesday 19 April 2011
Summary

Snowfall and freezing precipitation expected Wednesday afternoon and evening. This is an alert to the potential development of dangerous winter weather conditions in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

Details

A developing low pressure system from the Central United States will move to lie over the Maritimes by Thursday morning. A warm front associated with the low will spread snow, ice pellets and freezing rain over parts of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island beginning Wednesday afternoon and continuing into the evening.

Franks said:
They have beaches in England?? WTH?

Not only do we have beaches, they get quite crowded sometimes.
This is Swanage beach viewed from near the old pier (when the RAF Red Arrows were displaying).
Swanage is the terminus of the Swanage Railway, where I have spent many happy hours as a volunteer doing lineside clearance of trees etc in the past.

Surprising how many trees need to be chopped down along a railway line ;-)

[Hearth.com] Last fire last night!!!!!!

woodchip said:
I'll probably use the driftwood in the firepit as I don't want to burn my precious stack of seasoning wood in the stove, you're right about the salt in it, I used to burn it on the open fire before we got the stove last year.

Can you swim the English Channell?

You haven't seen my firepit ;-)

Still burning . . .

Gonna be 80 today. Leaves are popping out and the green pollen haze is collecting on every thing. We are done.

That green pollen haze stuff sucks.....nose gets blocked up from it... :long:

Same here. And if you think that's bad you should see the pollen clouds from big fir trees. A car parked nearby will have an 1/8" crust of pollen in a bad year.

I have stopped calling any fire the last of the year, especially during a LaNina cycle. This one still has us at least 10 degrees below normal. It's still dropping into the 30s at night and we are lucky to hit 50 during the day. We're burning occasionally now and burning lots of electrons too.

We are still burning once in awhile here in Pa.....upper 60's today.....low 50's tomorrow and in the 30's at night....looks better next week...probably warmer....but that changes daily....everytime we let it go out...I am the one restarting the fire.....husband does not even bother....as a newbie....this sounds stupid but...I am pretty proud of the fact that I can restart and get it rockin and rollin pretty effortlessly...and quick.....I have come a long way....now I am really the main operator of the stove...operate it better than the husband.... :coolsmile:

I need to get some super cedars. This starting and stopping bull is for the birds. 5.5 mo's of 24-7 has me spoiled.

pen

If you got some of those there blockz pen....it would be a cake-walk.....they are great for starting quick fires....IMHO....

GAMMA RAY said:
If you got some of those there blockz pen....it would be a cake-walk.....they are great for starting quick fires....IMHO....

hmm. Maybe I need to make a trip to tunkhannock for brewing supplies and some of those logs. I need a couple of things on the list to make the 45 mile trip worth while.

pen

brewing suppliez???? will meet ya for that....and buy ya a beer....oh yeah...to keep the thread on topic....yeah I am still burnin.. ;-) and lovin it....won't tire of it.....very dedicated.... :cheese: will burn till July if I have to...

GAMMA RAY said:
...to keep the thread on topic....yeah I am still burnin.. ;-) and lovin it....won't tire of it.....very dedicated.... :cheese: will burn till July if I have to...

Beats burning oil. As soon as I have my chimney installed I'll be doing a few burns, I don't care if it's 90 outside lol.

joecool85 said:
GAMMA RAY said:
...to keep the thread on topic....yeah I am still burnin.. ;-) and lovin it....won't tire of it.....very dedicated.... :cheese: will burn till July if I have to...

Beats burning oil. As soon as I have my chimney installed I'll be doing a few burns, I don't care if it's 90 outside lol.

I must admit, I'm almost looking forward to the fall already.......

Our lounge is lifeless without blue flames dancing about as the secondaries float about in a magical way.

A fire is more than being warm. A couple of nights being warm with no fire proves it beyond doubt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.