Large Fisher Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

copi

Jul 15, 2024
Iowa
I just picked up a very large Fisher wood stove (right) that i am unsure of the model. It is much larger than my 76 Grandpa Bear(left) that is 29 1/2 inches wide
It is a square door model that is 32 1/4 inches wide / 20 1/2 inches deep and 24 1/2 inches tall
What do i have?
Stove on the right in the below photo

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Last edited:
What I call a wide body Grandpa. 78 or 79 with older air intake dampers.

Thank you!
Did they make many of them like this? I have never seen one before.
Some fabricators did. Others followed the drawings.

Door hinge plates are an angled plate welded to the angle iron. Not welded to face plate. The Dunn Brothers in VA and W.VA made their door hinge plates like yours. They welded to angle iron, curled toward door hinge to reach the doors.

Your hinge plates are what I call “outboard” on the outsides of the door hinge ears. The doors only set on the lower hinge plates taking all the weight of the doors. Never saw an issue with lower hinge ears supporting all the weight. The stove on the left is built closer to drawing specs except for the leg taper.

Some fabricators did. Others followed the drawings.

Door hinge plates are an angled plate welded to the angle iron. Not welded to face plate. The Dunn Brothers in VA and W.VA made their door hinge plates like yours. They welded to angle iron, curled toward door hinge to reach the doors.

Your hinge plates are what I call “outboard” on the outsides of the door hinge ears. The doors only set on the lower hinge plates taking all the weight of the doors. Never saw an issue with lower hinge ears supporting all the weight. The stove on the left is built closer to drawing specs except for the leg taper.
Thank you for the info COALY!