Kuma Sequoia Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
For those of you with Kuma Sequoia inserts. I would be interested in knowing your assessment of the "natural convection". It won't be my main source of heat in the house and I wondered if I didn't get a blower if that might help my 600 square great room from getting to hot. Also, I was wondering about how dirty the glass gets, especially if you compare them to other stoves. Anybody have the Ashwood insert, and thoughts on that stove?

The Sequoia sounds much too large if the heat is to be mostly confined to a 600 sq ft area. This is a large stove.

I have a free standing sequoia in my unfinished basement. The natural convection is really nice and moves air well without the blower. This stove unfortunately doesn't have the air wash for the glass but when the fire is burning hot it cleans the glass but will darken after you engage the catalytic to low and slow burn. I have around a 1,000 sq ft basement with concrete wall and the sequoia heats it well with plenty of heat traveling to the upstairs. This stove might be a little much for a 600 sq ft room but I can't say enough about this stove! It's a great American made stove and really puts out heat without needing a blower.

DeepSpringFarm, can you tell us more about the overall house layout? It could be the Sequoia would work if there is a reliable way for the heat to migrate out of the room. How many openings are there from this room to the rest of the house and how large are they? If you can post a simple sketch of the first floor plan that would help. You might also want to start a conversation with kumastoves for questions on the Ashwood in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.