Kuma Sequoia blower - worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dare

Dec 11, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a Kuma Sequoia installed in a large room with high ceilings. It's by a stairway, so a lot of the heat gets sucked up into the upper level. I'd like it to blow more air out into the room. The blower is $369 on their website, so I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I should maybe install fans on the ceiling as an alternative? If you own a sequoia, especially, I'd be really interested in your experience.

Stoves located by a stairwell can be a problem unless it's in a basement and you want the heat to go up. A ceiling fan blowing down in above the staircase will help. Depending on the floorplan you also may be able to put a fan in an adjacent area and blow cooler air toward the stove.

What does the stove front point toward? If it is another room with a large opening between them then yes the stove fan may help.

Stoves located by a stairwell can be a problem unless it's in a basement and you want the heat to go up. A ceiling fan blowing down in above the staircase will help. Depending on the floorplan you also may be able to put a fan in an adjacent area and blow cooler air toward the stove.

What does the stove front point toward? If it is another room with a large opening between them then yes the stove fan may help.

Stove points out into the large open living area, which is open to kitchen:

Attachments

• Kuma Sequoia blower - worth it?
    floor 1 stove.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 237
Not to veer to far off topic, but how is the stove doing for you so far? We haven't had much burning time this year but you should have been able to let it stretch its legs a bit this past week.
Been actually burning a lot. This is my first full winter with it. Been mild for sure, which has been nice as I haven't really had to use any propane to supplement the wood burner. It's a little milder closer to the beach than it is in Baltimore so i imagine I've had more opportunity than you. My place is ~4500 sq ft, so I'm finding once it dips below freezing I'm needing the central heating to keep the place up to temp.

Experiment. Do you have a stand fan? If so, try blowing it across the top of the stove toward the library and see if you can measure a difference there. Low speed is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.