Kitchen foil for sealing first stove-to-flue joint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MannyF

Sep 29, 2023
Planet Earth
I'm replacing an open fireplace with a wood burning stove. The stainless steel flue sections are designed not to require any sealant. However, the fit between the stove's flue collar and the first flue section is a tiny bit loose (for example's sake let's pretend there's a 1 mm clearance between the two) and I will need something in there to create a decent seal. A Google search brings up the usual "fire cement" but it also brings up plenty of complaints about its poor durability. It seems this stuff starts falling apart too soon and requires frequent reapplication.

Just trying to think outside the box, I tried to make a seal using kitchen foil. I folded a long piece a few times to the desired thickness, then folded it once more along its lengthwise center line and wrapped it over the top of the stove flue collar so as to line it. Finally, I slid a flue section into the foil-lined flue collar. As far as tightness is concerned, the fit is very good. The foil was very easy to install and excess foil is easy enough to trim with a utility knife. I haven't tested this with fire yet but I'm wondering if it's worth attempting or is it an accident waiting to happen? In case it matters, the melting point of kitchen foil is 660 °C or 1220 °F.

Failing kitchen foil, there are other materials such as copper tape which would have a melting point of 1085 °C and in theory should work.

How about something like header wrap? Fold it in half over the flange on the stove and then slide the stove pipe over.

How about a small diameter door gasket tucked into the joint?

How about a small diameter door gasket tucked into the joint?
What material would that be made of? I'm reading 300 °C at the flue collar is not uncommon. That's why wood burning stoves are not installed with silicone seals, because they would degrade. Foil melts at 600 °C, typically it won't get that hot but you never know. I'm leaning towards copper tape. The appeal of thin material like foil or copper tape is I can layer it to almost any thickness because it's very thin.

Tape has glue. It'll stink.

There are flat "tape like" glass fiber gaskets. I'd do that. (In fact that is what I just used to connect a connector piece to the snout in my wall.)

What material would that be made of? I'm reading 300 °C at the flue collar is not uncommon. That's why wood burning stoves are not installed with silicone seals, because they would degrade. Foil melts at 600 °C, typically it won't get that hot but you never know. I'm leaning towards copper tape. The appeal of thin material like foil or copper tape is I can layer it to almost any thickness because it's very thin.
Like door gasket on your stove. It gets direct flame contact all season. Should be able to withstand the temperatures.

Reactions: stoveliker
Tape has glue. It'll stink.

There are flat "tape like" glass fiber gaskets. I'd do that. (In fact that is what I just used to connect a connector piece to the snout in my wall.

Oh I see. Yeah I thought about that but that stuff is waaay too thick.
They have it as small as 1/4”.

My collar fits properly. No deal is needed.

You can also de-crimp the stove pipe a bit or grind off a bit of the crimped length if it's too long and that's why it doesn't seal.

Oh I see. Yeah I thought about that but that stuff is waaay too thick.
No, there are 1 mm thick tape like ones too.

Where’s that from stoveliker?

I bought a full gasket replacement kit for my old Dutch West stove at some point and didn't need all.

Don't remember where.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Are you using an appliance adapter?