King/Ashley 5500m On Light Flashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbtk2

Nov 22, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
Ok i bought a home that already had this stove in it. The previous owner disclosed that the stove didn't work but didn't say what the problem is. It's not the main heating source for the home anyways so i wasn't too concerned but i would like to get it working.

If i turn the stove on it appears to work properly for ~3 minutes (auger feeds pellets and exhaust fan runs) and then the ON light begins flashing. At this point the auger quits feeding but exhaust fan still runs. I am unsure if the ignitor is working or not during this time, i believe it is not. The manual i have gives me no information on what this could be it only has one very limited troubleshooting page. The stove was manufactured in 2007.

If i manually light the stove it burns great other than it shutting the auger off after ~3 mins. If i press the off and then on button to restart the 3 min period it will feed more pellets, once it gets warm enough the room blower turns on and it burns and heats very well. I just have to continuously turn the stove off and on so it will feed the pellets.

I am assuming there is some sort of safety sensor/switch somewhere causing this but i really don't know where to start. The blower works once the stove gets hot enough so it seems like that temperature switch is good (maybe there is more than 1?)...there are no other lights blinking (I've read that if the "A" light is blinking that could be a vacuum issue and that isn't on or blinking). So I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some tips.

I am unsure how much use the stove has seen.

Thanks for any input.

Flashing on button just means its in start up mode according to a 5500 manual

Flashing on button just means its in start up mode according to a 5500 manual

Yes i did some searching and found that in a manual for a newer version of my stove that has a different control panel than mine. So I'm not sure if that's what it means or not.

It said:
"Flashing On Indicator: This means that the stove is in the “Start Up” state waiting for either a 3 minute timeout to begin burning or for the stove to reach the warm temperature whichever comes first."

However it never quits flashing. I ran the stove for a few hours by manually turning it off and back on so it would continue to feed, and once i quit doing that it just burns until it runs out of pellets and then goes out. So if that does mean its in startup mode, its stuck in that mode for some reason.

Every time you hit the on button it will restart the startup mode.

So it seems its time to look into the sensor or possibly the board. Vaccuum problems should give an error code. Maybe try and unplugging the starter?

Every time you hit the on button it will restart the startup mode.

So it seems its time to look into the sensor or possibly the board. Vaccuum problems should give an error code. Maybe try and unplugging the starter?

Yea i understand its going to try to do the start up every time. But it's supposed to quit if its up to temp from what i understand. I got it burning very well and let it run and it just burns out...it never ends this mode.

If there is a sensor other than the one that controls the room blower, I'm not sure where it is. If it shares the sensor it seems that it works fine since that blower kicks on once its warm and turns off once it cools down.

I don't want to just guess that its a board without having some way to test it. It looks like they're fairly expensive, plus there is a seperate board for the ignitor so how do i know which one it is. It's not my main heat source for the home, just for ambiance really. If its expensive to fix, I probably won't. Just hoping someone else had the same problem and can point me in the right direction.

I have not tried unplugging the ignitor and seeing if that changes anything yet. I will try that next to see what that changes. I've read a lot of people have ignitor issues with this stove but seems all those people are able to use it if they light it manually. I kind of assumed originally this was the problem with the stove after some research, but before ordering one i wanted to make sure it would run once i lit it manually, which it does not.

I have no clue if there would be a error code if the starter fails... but if its shorting out somewhere then disconecting it would rule that part out..
Seems as the board is not registering there is adequite flame or temp and shutting down. Not knowing the stove im guessing here but is there a vacuum port near the igniter or burn pot and possibly plugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.