Harmon insert not coming on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 23, 2020
Quarryville, PA
Hi,

The pellet stove ran out of pellets, cooled down as normal and turned off. I used it as an opportunity to clean the burn pot and the ashes under the burn pot behind the small metal panel with the wing nuts. Filled the hopper with pellets and turned it on. Made noise for a second and turned off. I saw 3 blinks on the status, which is ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) has failed, has a broken connection, or has gone out of range too many times. This requires a manual reset. Manual reset involves disconnecting the power cord for a few seconds and reconnecting. If error still occurs call your dealer.

one minute video

So then I unplugged it for a few minutes, plugged it back in, and turned it on again. Same thing, noise for a second and shuts off. Power light is lit. Status light is off now, no blinks.

Thanks for the help!

I bumped the temp dial up and tried again and it came on. OK for now.

That was going to be the first suggestion - check all dials to make sure it is on, and at a temp where it will start up. Almost invariably, when there are issues after doing a cleaning, something about what was done (or not done) during the cleaning process is the culprit. Rarely does a board/motor/other chose that specific opportunity to fail.

The noise it makes when you first turn the dial away from stop, or plug the stove back in, is the stove doing a quick self test.

Thank you! I think it actually turned off due to hitting the high cut off temp, because there were a few pellets in the hopper. I assumed it turned off due to running out because I was waiting for it to run out to cool and clean it. And then when I saw the 3 blinks on the status light I was concerned.

I turned the temp down last night after a couple of hours, it shut down after I did that, and came on early this morning no problem.

All is well!

Thanks for the help and info!