Jotul F600 sprung a leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
A funny thing happened this morning when starting my new F600.

About 15 minutes after starting it, I noticed a black fluid leaking out the bottom of the side loading door onto the ash lip and onto the floor. It looked like some condensation that got cooked out of the ends of the wood loaded E/W collected on the inside of the door and dripped down past the gasket. I'm thinking the stove wasn't hot enough yet to evaporate it all before some made its way out.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Not a functional problem at all but just curious about others' experience with this.

Seems to me this happened with my Oslo on the first break in fire . . . and it has happened to other folks with cast iron Jotul stoves. I don't think it is the wood . . . most likely it is the stove -- not sure if it is moisture from the cement cooking out or oils used on the metal. Regardless I suspect in another fire or two you will see the "leak" stop.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Seems to me this happened with my Oslo on the first break in fire . . . and it has happened to other folks with cast iron Jotul stoves. I don't think it is the wood . . . most likely it is the stove -- not sure if it is moisture from the cement cooking out or oils used on the metal. Regardless I suspect in another fire or two you will see the "leak" stop.
I really appreciate the feedback. I was hoping so because I didn't want a leaky woodstove for the rest of my life.

What you said makes a lot of sense. It happened on a hotter fire than I had ever had in the stove up to that point.