Jotul F600 CB Manifold Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wheatie314

Dec 20, 2022
Vermont
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding my Jotul f600 CB after the manifold began to fail at the end of last season (the burn tubes began falling out). I pulled the top of the stove off and replaced all the gaskets and then pulled the manifold and baffle plates and replaced them as well.

Here are my 2 questions regarding the new manifold:
1. Do I need to put any cement or mortar around the connection point where the new manifold inserts into the back of the firebox to increase the seal, or is friction fit adequate (could't tell if there was anything around the old one due to age)?

2. After tightening the manifold bolts into the back of the stove it caused the load door side of the manifold to "toe out" slightly as it moves towards the front of the stove (noticeable when installing the baffle plates on top), meaning the front of the manifold now sits wider at the front than at the back. Is this problematic or normal? It seems there's room in the stove on both sides of the manifold to accommodate for heat expansion. I only ask since my previous baffle plates became very warped, making them unusable on top of the new manifold since they physically would not fit between the sides of the new manifold so I wondered if this was a baffle alignment problem.

The second question may not be a big deal, but I'd rather ask than find out the hard way after spending almost $700 for new parts.

Thanks!

Ben

I would expect that area to be sealed, but haven't rebuilt a big Jotul. D. Hermit is the resident Jotul rebuild expert, though I think paredown did an F600 rebuild too.