Jotul F55v2 or a Blaze King Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What do you guys think about this type alcove

Does it meet the ceiling height requirements of the BK model in an alcove? Specifications trump marketing photos.

I like the looks of a tv mounted above a fireplace/wood stove but that a lot of heat for electronics. I’d consider an insert with the blowers
He doesn't have a fireplace to put an insert in

Reactions: 71montess
Personally, a TV above a fireplace or wood stove is a non starter for me. I simply don't get it. Yeah it's symmetrical. I got that. But the height of a TV in a room setting is way too high. The stupid TV takes away from the beauty of a fireplace. I'd rather watch a fire than most crap that is splashed on TV. Well I guess it would add to our current ADD-DDD. Watch 2 things at once. Watching a fire -AGAIN in my opinion- is relaxing and soothing which goes way back into the pre-historic brain. With Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow spewing above I think would disrupt the Zen.

• Love
Help me find that, I see 69” or 72” can’t find protected height.
My bad, 51" is the minimum alcove width. The minimum ceiling height is 37" over the stovetop.

The only option to get around this is to build an entirely non-combustible alcove. This can be done with cement block or metal studs, cement board cladding, and a non-combustible mantel.

Personally, a TV above a fireplace or wood stove is a non starter for me. I simply don't get it. Yeah it's symmetrical. I got that. But the height of a TV in a room setting is way too high. The stupid TV takes away from the beauty of a fireplace. I'd rather watch a fire than most crap that is splashed on TV. ...
I don't get it either. I find it way too high and uncomfortable.

Personally, a TV above a fireplace or wood stove is a non starter for me. I simply don't get it. Yeah it's symmetrical. I got that. But the height of a TV in a room setting is way too high. The stupid TV takes away from the beauty of a fireplace. I'd rather watch a fire than most crap that is splashed on TV. Well I guess it would add to our current ADD-DDD. Watch 2 things at once. Watching a fire -AGAIN in my opinion- is relaxing and soothing which goes way back into the pre-historic brain. With Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow spewing above I think would disrupt the Zen.

There is an “off” button on most TVs. My TV is about a foot above but 3 feet to the side of my BK. TV is off right now but the stove is hot. Typical BK shoulder season fire, nothing to see.

I can hear a dishwasher running. Sensory overload!

Jotul F55v2 or a Blaze King Ashford 30

There is an “off” button on most TVs. My TV is about a foot above but 3 feet to the side of my BK. TV is off right now but the stove is hot. Typical BK shoulder season fire, nothing to see.

I can hear a dishwasher running. Sensory overload!

View attachment 277328
All i see is two black screens. Both in cat mode?

TV should be on the opposite wall of the stove and at normal height. I have never been a fan of cramming a TV above a fireplace or stove.

Also, I have a F55 and love it. It heated our whole nothern Michigan house this winter easily. I like to burn a hot clean fire though.

People still have televisions?! Call me a weirdo, but I haven't had a TV in my house in 8 years.

People still have televisions?! Call me a weirdo, but I haven't had a TV in my house in 8 years.
Netflix is much better on a big screen than a laptop.

Estimates are that 120.6 million homes in the US have TVs. For comparison, about 4.8 million homes in the US have woodstoves.

My rule of thumb is ...... no tv in the bedroom

Reactions: bholler