Jotul F55v2 or a Blaze King Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

71montess

Mar 27, 2021
Base camp
I’m now building a 2000 sqft ranch with a cathedral family room in middle with bedrooms on both sides. I live in Massachusetts.
other than the old VC Vigilant, I haven’t tried other stoves. Any advice ? And I’m new here so want to just say hello.
oh , and one is $3000.00 and one is $4100.00

Last edited:
Welcome. Does the 25c tax credit matter? If so, the Ashford qualifies, the F55 does not.

Welcome. Does the 25c tax credit matter? If so, the Ashford qualifies, the F55 does not.
Looks like the tax credit even covers vent pipe and install ? That would even things up. But what are the other factors in choosing one over the other ? How do the ash dumps compare ? Want to install semi recessed and I think one it top flu and one is rear flu ?

Last edited:
Looks like the tax credit even covers vent pipe and install ? That would even things up. But what are the other factors in choosing one over the other ? How do the ash dumps compare ? Want to install semi recessed and I think one it top flu and one is rear flu ?
Semi-recessed, as in an alcove? That takes extra planning to meet clearances, including ceiling clearances. It would be good to make a list of desired attributes and then prioritize them to separate out the "must haves" vs the "would be nice".

Reactions: 71montess
You need a pretty perfect flue system for the ashford. 15’ tall all vertical. Taller if you need any bends. I would not install that BK unless you can meet or exceed all of the chimney recommendations/requirements.

I really like the BK’s performance for actual heating.

You need a pretty perfect flue system for the ashford. 15’ tall all vertical. Taller if you need any bends. I would not install that BK unless you can meet or exceed all of the chimney recommendations/requirements.

I really like the BK’s performance for actual heating.
I’ll have the 15 ft. With extra, the alcove layout is going to be tricky. I have plenty of wall space and it’s on an inside wall that is a cathedral ceiling wall. Want to bump out for the alcove and run straight up with the bump out with the vent pipe in behind this wall. And face it with split fieldstone to the ceiling. Need to keep clearances in this space from the vent pipe Too. I figure using all fuel vent through the roof and transition to single wall pipe down to the stove. The ceiling in the alcove needs to be at certain heights by manufacturers specs. Will be using a black walnut tree in my field for mantel, with a deflector I think.

Make a sketch and post it here. I suspect there will need to be some corrections made, starting with the stovepipe which cannot be enclosed in a chase. It will need to become chimney pipe with a ceiling. Take the chimney up a couple more feet and the Ashford should work as long as clearances are honored.

Last edited:
Single wall pipe is not recommended. Use double wall connector pipe up to your transition to class A at the first ceiling.

Drawing is based on these photos somewhat.

Attachments

• Jotul F55v2 or a Blaze King Ashford 30
    F3AB0959-3E3C-4755-B509-E5CD2A6AFEAB.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Jotul F55v2 or a Blaze King Ashford 30
    23AADB6F-0E13-4B8C-9DFB-C9EDF19A7A3D.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 213
Holy cow now I’m liking the Woodstock Progressive Hybid. No fan with it though, it’s total radiant.

I have fans on my Bk but seldom use them. All stoves heat with both radiation and convection. Even conduction if you put your hand on it.

That PH will put out all of those btus to the room regardless of fan or not. Don’t sweat the fan. The PH is only 2.8 cf though.

From my own experience with a cathedral ceiling, if you are not burning 24/7 and frequently warming up a cool house (say weekendmorning or after work), I'd get a stove that is designed well for the high BTU end of the spectrum.

From my own experience with a cathedral ceiling, if you are not burning 24/7 and frequently warming up a cool house (say weekendmorning or after work), I'd get a stove that is designed well for the high BTU end of the spectrum.
I bought an 18 acre place and have designed the house with bedrooms on either side of a cathedral ceiling family room open to the kitchen out back. I’m a licensed Master Plumber and will have radiant floor heating for when I get to old to split wood.

Reactions: mar13
I have fans on my Bk but seldom use them. All stoves heat with both radiation and convection. Even conduction if you put your hand on it.

That PH will put out all of those btus to the room regardless of fan or not. Don’t sweat the fan. The PH is only 2.8 cf though.
i think I read that the PH can’t be used in an alcove setup which is my plan as the wife wants cabinets on either side and a TV above. The electronics will be ok with some way to deflect any rising heat. I’ve been running plans on it through my head as the foundation is going in this week. The all fuel pipe will come down from the roof to the top of the alcove, then transition to double wall stove pipe. Priced it up on Efireplace.com and it’s about $2000.00 for pipe and fittings. About 20’ of all fuel and fittings.

i think I read that the PH can’t be used in an alcove setup which is my plan as the wife wants cabinets on either side and a TV above. The electronics will be ok with some way to deflect any rising heat. I’ve been running plans on it through my head as the foundation is going in this week. The all fuel pipe will come down from the roof to the top of the alcove, then transition to double wall stove pipe. Priced it up on Efireplace.com and it’s about $2000.00 for pipe and fittings. About 20’ of all fuel and fittings.
You do realize most stoves need a high alcove height. Do you really want your tv 7" high?

You do realize most stoves need a high alcove height. Do you really want your tv 7" high?
That’s a good point, the alcove cieling unprotected will be 6’, 54” if protected I think. I’ll need to let the wife know. The house will be around 1800 sq’ but it’s a big cathedral room .

Have you considered putting in an EPA fireplace instead?

That’s a good point, the alcove cieling unprotected will be 6’, 54” if protected I think. I’ll need to let the wife know. The house will be around 1800 sq’ but it’s a big cathedral room .
Some stoves allow that others don't.

The BK Ashford 30.1 has a minimum alcove ceiling height of 51".

Reactions: bholler

2.8 cuft is about the same as the Jotul and BK though ?

Reactions: Highbeam
The Progress Hybrid is a side-loading stove. Unless you're planning to create an enormously wide alcove, I don't think a side-loader would be well suited to an alcove installation.