Jotul F500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjmac1235

Nov 28, 2018
Upstate NY
Looking at the F500 Oslo. I can't seem to find anywhere the minimal clearance needed from top of stove to mantel. I am assuming 18". Is that correct?

I am installing this unit in a existing fireplace. The stove would be sticking out of the fireplace roughly 14 inches.

Mantle is 7" deep.

Thanks!

NFPA-211 says 36" for unprotected COMBUSTIBLE surfaces ABOVE a Fireplace Stove, from what I can tell...

If it is too tight you could install a heat shield. Get some copper the length of the mantel and maybe 14 inches wide.
Install it on an angle where it is attached to the bottom of the front of the mantel but is about 1 inch below the mantel, it does not touch the mantel.
Run it on an angle down and screw it to the wall.
The heat will come up and ride along the shield and bypass the mantel.

Might not meet code but it would work and would protect the mantel from catching fire.

From the manual:

FIREPLACE INSTALLATION MUST ALSO OBSERVE THE PROPER CLEARANCES TO
SURROUNDING TRIM AND MANTELS (ADDRESSED IN CLEARANCE SECTION OF
THIS MANUAL). IN ADDITION, FIREPLACE INSTALLATIONS MUST ALSO ADHERE
TO THE FLOOR PROTECTION GUIDELINES SPECIFIED IN THE FOLLOWING
SECTION.

MANTEL AND TRIM STOVE TO 1” THICK OR LESS, SIDE TRIM 12”

CLEARANCES

STOVE TO 1” THICK OR LESS, TOP TRIM, 16”

STOVE TO MANTEL- MAXIMUM MANTEL DEPTH 12”, 30”

For shielding maybe take guidance from the alcove installation spec for the F500.

6. MINIMUM CEILING HEIGHT IN AN UNPROTECTED INSTALLATION, OFF THE
TOP OF THE STOVE IS 41”(1041 MM). THE MINIMUM CEILING HEIGHT
OFF THE TOP OF THE STOVE IN A PROTECTED CEILING INSTALLATION IS
15”(380MM).

Based on this, a shielded mantel should be ok at 15".