Jotul F500 Ivory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood Pirate

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
Hi All. Been a while since ive been on here.
I acquired a 10 old slightly used f500 Jotul from my parents that needs repair and im looking to see who has best pricing on parts. They installed in 2007 and in 2018 noticed overfiring from a crack in the base possibly caused by using the ash door for starting??
Long story short, they bought a new one and were ready to give the old one to the stove shop until i grabbed it.
I would like to attemp to break it down and repair it. I have a 40 year old hearthstone ii at our hunting camp which this would replace.
Is it a difficult breakdown and where would be the best place to get parts. Its ivory enamel so im sure parts will be pricy. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Jotul F500 Ivory
    Screenshot_20201104-054249_Gallery.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 197
Why dismantle the stove, unless your thinking of replacing the base. I would look at welding the crack. It's cast iron which requires a real talented welder, but it can be done.

Base cracks can be serious. I'm not sure if welding would fix.

I would rather just buy the part and do the work to get it done right.

Reactions: jmb6420
Is it best just to go through the locsl Jotul dealer for parts? Are parts such as a white enamel base readily available or shipped from overseas?
Thanks!

I would call a dealer. They got me blue black short legs without issue. If it is for a camp you could always just get the plain cast iron base and save some $$

Is it best just to go through the locsl Jotul dealer for parts? Are parts such as a white enamel base readily available or shipped from overseas?
Thanks!
Worst case scenario you could get a black painted base and repaint it white.

Is it the inner base plate that is cracked? If so, its not an enameled piece anyway. The stove really needs to be broken down to the base of the stove. If you are doing this yourself, take it apart carefully, take pictures and such. Its worth the investment though.

So i have the whole stove apart. The local dealer ordered a new base for me along with all new gaskets.
Now im working on cleaning out all of the cemented joints so its ready for reassembly when the parts arrive.
Anyone have an actual assembly manual dor this stove? Seems fairly straightforward. Just curious if there are recommended torques for bolts or seasoning procedures.
Thanks

Would anyone happen to have assembly instructions for this stove? My base came in and im going to start reassembly.
Thanks

doubt there are torque requirements for wood stove bolts. just tighten snug.

The base replacement has come up before. Love to see some pictures. What did the parts cost?

Get some Jotul or Hearthstone stove cement for the rebuild. It's good stuff.

The base replacement has come up before. Love to see some pictures. What did the parts cost?
The base was about $290 and i bought it in black. The white enamel base was $700 and i wasn't paying that for something that is going to wind up at our deer camp.
Its not going to be cheap but its a challenge now and i want to see how it goes.