Jotul F45 Greenville Experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Looking for anyone who has experience with this stove and can tell me how its working out? Looking for burn time info with different woods, I burn a lot of Aspen but also have better hardwoods for colder days. I've read the firebox is about 2 cu ft, anyone have the true dimensions? How hot does this thing get, is there decent radiant heat or mostly just convection? Thanks

Anyone know what the lead time is for Jotul USA these days? I know VC is 60+.

My Christmas present! I was going to wait til next season since the lead times were 60+ days but a local dealer found one and I grabbed it for $1999. They loaned me their forklift cart and I slid it right onto the hearth replacing the 602.

Only a couple days with it but I like it. I haven't had to push it even with the Blizzard we had the other day. 3/4 loads pretty much all I need to keep the cabin mid 70's.

The stove seems very controllable, I was a little worried since my 602 liked to run away once in awhile on cold windy days so I was thinking the F45 may do the same but so far it's drafting fine on my 22' straight up chimney . Once my internal pipe temps are up to 400-500 I can shut her all the way down and she'll stay there steady for hours with a nice looking slow burn and clean glass.

Stove top temps run 400-700 dead center of the stove a little less in the top corners where Jotul recommends a thermometer. I'm betting a 10+ hour burn should be no problem with a full load of good hardwood. I'll be happy with an 8hr burn or 3 time loading schedule per day.

Attachments

• 1224201459.jpg
    1224201459.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,435
Looking good! It should burn quite differently than the 602.

Nice that you found one so you can use it this year. You will have to keep us posted on how you like it compared to your previous stove. Be interesting to see what your burn times will be. Looks like you got it in just in time because it looks like winter is going to be settling in now.

Reactions: Todd
Looking good! It should burn quite differently than the 602.
Thanks, yeah it definitely burns different than the 602. Takes a little more time to throttle down to a low burn like 15-20 min verses 5 min with my 602. The wife also likes the better fire view and will be easier for her to load and operate.

Glad to find your thread Todd, Hijack in progress, lol.

I have one that we got last March, but only used it a few times in the spring. Now getting the hang of it. We have it as an emergency backup heat for the basement. We did not have room for any stove in the upstairs in our small house, as there was never enough clearance for the stove from doorways, cold air intakes, windows. Even if we would have used a whole new chimney I don't think it could have fit because our rooms are so small. Besides DH (dear husband) didn't want to have the ash and wood upstairs.

For my first stove, I love this little stove. Lovely to look at with the cast iron designs. The size was perfect for getting down our concrete stairway. Maybe a larger stove would have been worked down the stairs, but I don't know. My stove is the original version. Is yours the 2nd version?

We live in an old house on our family farm. The house is a one story with a clay block basement with no basement insulation. The basement is about 1000sf or slightly larger, unfinished. Im sitting in front of it just now. I wonder a lot of things about wood stoves in general. I am now able to get the fire going with one light, using kindling, balled up craft paper from online purchases, and corn cobs from our stash, when husband used to fire up the tank heater for the cattle waterer.

Burning mostly ash and walnut. No soft woods. Its from our wood pile that I bought last spring to get us through this winter. Its a mix of walnut, oak, ash, elm.

Questions for anyone:
  1. how hot to run it? I've been keeping it at 500 to 600 degrees. I have an insulated stove pipe with a temp gauge as well as a gauge on the stove top.
  2. When and how much to dampen it down?
  3. How full to load it? I am now getting an idea of the amount of wood you need to use to keep stoves running. I see why people go through multiple cords of wood in a season. We're only burning at leisure.
  4. What is the expected burn time? I cant imagine getting an 8 hour burn out of mine. Maybe I'm not loading it full enough.

1794D281-3433-4972-B02D-EF3559BE30CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to find your thread Todd, Hijack in progress, lol.

I have one that we got last March, but only used it a few times in the spring. Now getting the hang of it. We have it as an emergency backup heat for the basement. We did not have room for any stove in the upstairs in our small house, as there was never enough clearance for the stove from doorways, cold air intakes, windows. Even if we would have used a whole new chimney I don't think it could have fit because our rooms are so small. Besides DH (dear husband) didn't want to have the ash and wood upstairs.

For my first stove, I love this little stove. Lovely to look at with the cast iron designs. The size was perfect for getting down our concrete stairway. Maybe a larger stove would have been worked down the stairs, but I don't know. My stove is the original version. Is yours the 2nd version?

We live in an old house on our family farm. The house is a one story with a clay block basement with no basement insulation. The basement is about 1000sf or slightly larger, unfinished. Im sitting in front of it just now. I wonder a lot of things about wood stoves in general. I am now able to get the fire going with one light, using kindling, balled up craft paper from online purchases, and corn cobs from our stash, when husband used to fire up the tank heater for the cattle waterer.

Burning mostly ash and walnut. No soft woods. Its from our wood pile that I bought last spring to get us through this winter. Its a mix of walnut, oak, ash, elm.

Questions for anyone:
  1. how hot to run it? I've been keeping it at 500 to 600 degrees. I have an insulated stove pipe with a temp gauge as well as a gauge on the stove top.
  2. When and how much to dampen it down?
  3. How full to load it? I am now getting an idea of the amount of wood you need to use to keep stoves running. I see why people go through multiple cords of wood in a season. We're only burning at leisure.
  4. What is the expected burn time? I cant imagine getting an 8 hour burn out of mine. Maybe I'm not loading it full enough.

View attachment 270337
Yes I have the new V2, shouldn't be much different than yours. This stove is my primary heater and still learning it but if you want longer burns you need to establish a good coal bed, rake the coals forward and fill the stove as full as you can. Then what I've been doing is burn wide open til fire is established, turn down to half air and watch my internal flue temp til I reach 400-500 then I turn the air all the way to lowest setting. This takes about 15-20 min and gave me a 8-9 hour burn with plenty of coals left to start over. Your system may act a little different and you'll need to figure out what works best for you. Stove top temps should be in the 400-700 range but it's probably ok to exceed 700 for a short time once in awhile.

You may also want to look into insulating your basement walls to help keep them from sucking up all your heat.

Reactions: enduring
Todd, DH won't be going for insulated basement walls unfortunately, due to perceived expense. This is the home his grandfather moved here in the 30's from town. We have never looked into the expense of insulation of walls. I would assume it would require digging the soil away from the block and putting in some sort of styrofoam then back filling again. But we aren't builders so I really don't know. Our concrete floor isn't insulate either.

I reread your posts and have now got a flame going that I followed along with your first post on building the fire. It is running at 500deg at the stove pipe, and the lever at the bottom fully closed now.

I filled the box this morning and got it going as I did have a scant amount of coals left over from last night. This mornings fire burned down too fast I thought. I had the damper 1/2 open, so I may have burned through the wood too fast. Anyway, about an hour ago and following your post, if filled it 3/4 with hardwood, walnut and ash, and after about 10 minutes was able to close the damper all the way down, as there was still some burning wood from earlier. It still looks good 40 minutes later and is at 500 at the pipe.

I took some thanksgiving ham out of the freezer and warmed it up on the stove. It really heated that pan of ham up fast and brought my DH downstairs because of the smell ;)

Attachments

• 64A4CF34-1CF4-4497-833C-674C2D2B34B7.jpeg
    64A4CF34-1CF4-4497-833C-674C2D2B34B7.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 24E45A14-DA95-4D0C-8C91-4A7D16DFCAF8.jpeg
    24E45A14-DA95-4D0C-8C91-4A7D16DFCAF8.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 784
  • BBF7DC2D-26F1-4F26-B4A7-8F183C549A7A.jpeg
    BBF7DC2D-26F1-4F26-B4A7-8F183C549A7A.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 775
  • 7FFC4EEF-900A-45AB-B11E-D327B3075D98.jpeg
    7FFC4EEF-900A-45AB-B11E-D327B3075D98.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 787
  • A5B009E5-4E3C-4FA3-B225-9A8BBA673174.jpeg
    A5B009E5-4E3C-4FA3-B225-9A8BBA673174.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 838
Looking good Enduring. Yeah, half air for me will also burn too fast and hot with a full load. The Ham looks good, I think I'll do the same with my Christmas dinner leftovers this evening. Keep me posted on how your stove perfoms. Thanks

Todd, DH won't be going for insulated basement walls unfortunately, due to perceived expense. This is the home his grandfather moved here in the 30's from town. We have never looked into the expense of insulation of walls. I would assume it would require digging the soil away from the block and putting in some sort of styrofoam then back filling again. But we aren't builders so I really don't know. Our concrete floor isn't insulate either.

I reread your posts and have now got a flame going that I followed along with your first post on building the fire. It is running at 500deg at the stove pipe, and the lever at the bottom fully closed now.

I filled the box this morning and got it going as I did have a scant amount of coals left over from last night. This mornings fire burned down too fast I thought. I had the damper 1/2 open, so I may have burned through the wood too fast. Anyway, about an hour ago and following your post, if filled it 3/4 with hardwood, walnut and ash, and after about 10 minutes was able to close the damper all the way down, as there was still some burning wood from earlier. It still looks good 40 minutes later and is at 500 at the pipe.

I took some thanksgiving ham out of the freezer and warmed it up on the stove. It really heated that pan of ham up fast and brought my DH downstairs because of the smell ;)

Sounds like the stove is a success. Is it heating what you had hoped it would? Any heat getting upstairs?
Basement insulation is done on the inside walls typically. No need to dig outside.

Reactions: enduring
Had a nice 10hr burn last night with a 3/4 mixed load of Ash, Maple, and Aspen. Woke up to a hot stove, 71 room temp and plenty of coals for restart. I'm liking the burn control of this stove. It doesn't spike after shutting down the air. If I want a 500° stove I shut the air down when it gets there and it stays put.

Todd, I filled my stove last afternoon around 4 or 5pm, with hot coals from the 10am fire, and your instructions. I set damper closed after it was going well, which was about 10min. I cant remember if I loaded it again last night, dang it. This morning around 9am the stove was warm/hot to touch. I raked the coals forward and loaded again and put a few balls of paper in there. Took right off, but it seems to burn down quickly-after 4 hours, its just coals again. Put some more wood in there and it took right off. Stove pipe reads about 475. I'm enjoying the work.

Moresnow, we think there might be some warmth coming up. But our gas furnace is very good at keeping the house warm and at temp. I have noticed the several walls in the interior basement are warmed up, so that should radiate some heat to the room.

When you get a chance, please add a post in the Stove Reviews for this new model. We need to build up reviews for the 2020 stoves.

-24 this morning! Weather man was wrong again, called for -5. Cabin was a little chilly at 63 but had it back up to 70 in an hour burning a full load at med low with the stove top in the 600's. I would of definitely needed propane help with the little 602 this morning.

Reactions: VintageGal
12 hour burn last night with a full load. Stove was still too hot to touch and had plenty of coals for relight but was headed out for the rest of weekend so I just let it go out. I could see maybe doing a 12 hour reloading schedule when outside temps are in the 30-40's but teens and 20's seems to like an 8 hour loading keeping the cabin in the low to mid 70's. Colder temps require even more frequent loading. The new stove seems to be working out nicely.

Oh, and I havent had to clean the glass yet, it looks just as clear as it was for the first fire. I've burned a lot of different stoves in my day and never seen glass stay this clean this long.

Same here on the clean glass and long burn times. I have yet to clean the glass after 20+ fires. Yesterday at 6 PM I loaded mine up full. 18 hours later still lots of coals and stove temp near 200 degrees. WE have a warm week so I just let it go out so I can clean out the ash tomorrow.
I have a very tall chimney (35-40') so plenty of draft, maybe too much. I am able to completely close the stove dampener and get pretty long burns now. The secondary burn is beautiful to watch. Thinking a chimney dampener may be a benefit at some point.
We love ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: VintageGal and Todd
Same here on the clean glass and long burn times. I have yet to clean the glass after 20+ fires. Yesterday at 6 PM I loaded mine up full. 18 hours later still lots of coals and stove temp near 200 degrees. WE have a warm week so I just let it go out so I can clean out the ash tomorrow.
I have a very tall chimney (35-40') so plenty of draft, maybe too much. I am able to completely close the stove dampener and get pretty long burns now. The secondary burn is beautiful to watch. Thinking a chimney dampener may be a benefit at some point.
We love ours.
That's a nice burn time for such a tall chimney but I'm not that surprised after seeing the control I have with my stove on a straight up 22' chimney.

The stove holds a good amount of ash as well, I went two weeks before I decided to scoop some out.

Reactions: VintageGal
I was very surprised that I had coals after that long. My typical times have been to reload with wood every 5-6 hours and let it burn down to a bright coal bed and repeat. I did jam it full with some larger splits (all red oak) and closed the air control before large flames were present. Wood is not seasoned as well as I would like. I thinking the ash bed helped to insulate the coals.

This is our first wood stove and I find myself wanting colder weather so I can run it more. Getting a Jotul 550 for upstairs as soon as they bring them back into production.

IMG_5978.jpg

its great to see people so pleased w/ the controllability and achieving long burn times on these. It seems like I'm reading a lot about how some of the tweaks to comply w/ the new regs are limiting the low end control so this is encouraging. I think there are folks saying the loads are burning fast on the oslo too so its interesting to see the f45 not "suffering" the same way

its great to see people so pleased w/ the controllability and achieving long burn times on these. It seems like I'm reading a lot about how some of the tweaks to comply w/ the new regs are limiting the low end control so this is encouraging. I think there are folks saying the loads are burning fast on the oslo too so its interesting to see the f45 not "suffering" the same way
I noticed the F45 stated burn time actually went up an hour from the original model according to the manual. Maybe its the Turbulator they installed on top of the baffle? Not sure exactly how it works, maybe it restricts the air flow a bit slowing down the draft?

Reactions: avsmusic1
I noticed the F45 stated burn time actually went up an hour from the original model according to the manual. Maybe its the Turbulator they installed on top of the baffle? Not sure exactly how it works, maybe it restricts the air flow a bit slowing down the draft?
That would be great b/c it would mean the f55 may be seeing the same benefits - though I haven't seen any reviews yet on the big boy and it looks like the suggested burn time is 10hrs on both.