Jotul f400 Castine need cement on plates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kalmiapnw

Mar 10, 2019
Seattle
Hi all, new to the forum and wood stoves! I recently moved into a house with an existing Jotul 400.

The back burn plate looked like it was shot with a cannon so I just had that replaced by a local pro.

I also ordered 2 replacement side burn plates (which don’t necessarily need replacing but I’m doing it anyway).

My question is: do any of these plates need cementing / gasket? The back plate seems to rest generally flush but I’ve seen pics of other side plates that appear to have been cemented in per se.

Any feedback on which plates if any on the Jotul f400 castine need cement? Thanks!! And pic of new back plate attached for context.

Attachments

• Jotul f400  Castine need cement on plates?
    FA27E961-C1D9-4CD4-8749-BFC77FCA15E8.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 794
That stove has had a workout, the rear plate does not often need replacement. I've never replaced the side burn plates, but I think they get a bead of cement based on pictures of the firebox when new.