Jotul F12 Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cmyers

Aug 7, 2024
Maine
Hi folks. I recently got a Jotul F12 from a client I did some work for last spring. They hadn’t used it in over 15 years. I’m wondering if its worth rebuilding and using or if I should put my money towards a new stove. I don’t mind putting a little work into something I got for free. Free is my favorite word as a scavanging general contractor. The rear and right side burn plates both have cracks in them measuring at least 1/2” wide. Would I possibly be able to braze these and they still do their job? Both pieces of door glass need to be replaced. The catalyst combustor needs to be replaced, I think? I’m not sure what a bad CC looks like as this would be my first time using a catalytic stove. It’s not broken apart, but it is a bit dirty. All gasket rope needs to be replaced. I don’t know if there is anything else I should look into for damage or maintenance. I’ve read through this forum and have learned that this stove is very problematic and expensive to repair depending on the part. However, I see that some people swear by it. Any experts on this stove have some advice? Thank you.

Hi folks. I recently got a Jotul F12 from a client I did some work for last spring. They hadn’t used it in over 15 years. I’m wondering if its worth rebuilding and using or if I should put my money towards a new stove. I don’t mind putting a little work into something I got for free. Free is my favorite word as a scavanging general contractor. The rear and right side burn plates both have cracks in them measuring at least 1/2” wide. Would I possibly be able to braze these and they still do their job? Both pieces of door glass need to be replaced. The catalyst combustor needs to be replaced, I think? I’m not sure what a bad CC looks like as this would be my first time using a catalytic stove. It’s not broken apart, but it is a bit dirty. All gasket rope needs to be replaced. I don’t know if there is anything else I should look into for damage or maintenance. I’ve read through this forum and have learned that this stove is very problematic and expensive to repair depending on the part. However, I see that some people swear by it. Any experts on this stove have some advice? Thank you.
It's scrap sorry